work before H1 receipt - HELP !!!

rajeshsfo

Registered Users (C)
Can someone continue to work before the receipt arrives.

H1 is expiring on Aug 1, 2003, H1 extenstion was filed on 24th July but so far have not received the receipt. It was filed in Premium Processing in California Service Center.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Originally posted by rajeshsfo
Can someone continue to work before the receipt arrives.

H1 is expiring on Aug 1, 2003, H1 extenstion was filed on 24th July but so far have not received the receipt. It was filed in Premium Processing in California Service Center.

ANY HELP WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

No, you need the receipt before you can begin to work.

If you are working for the same company and it is just an extension, then yes you can continue to work without the receipt notice. The regulations indicate that an individual can continue to work for 240 days beyond their current expiration date.

Can you please point me the official website from where you read this information. I will have to show this to my Manager to continue to work after the expiry of my current I-94.

You will definitely need a receipt notice to continue working. Read this, this is from BCIS website:

How will employers who hire H-1B aliens using the portability provisions comply with their I-9 requirements?
A12: Current regulations at 8 C.F.R. 274A.12(b)(20) authorize employment with the existing employer after a request for extension of H-1B status is filed. The alien in this case is employment authorized but the I-9 form contains no provision for this authorization. Employers should follow the documentation procedures they currently use for an extension of this sort. Typically, this could involve attaching a copy of the receipt notice for the filed petition along with a copy of the alien's I-94 to the I-9 kept on file.