Winnipeg, MB - any info welcome

CanadianDream

Hi, we have received our Canadian Immigration papers and are looking to move to Canada within the next month or two.

We are looking at Winnipeg, MB as our destination for three reasons:
1. Lower cost of living compared to ON,
2. Medical coverage from Day one (no waiting period for 3 months like ON) and
3. We are closer to Winnipeg than to Windsor.

We are finding a ton of information on Toronto, and Vancouver and lesser info on Montreal and Calgary, but I am not finding any resources or websites for info on Winnipeg. I have looked at canadiandesi.com, relocatecanada.com, canadatotwincities.com and canada.com/winnipeg.

Please let me know of any Indian/ Immigrant communities in or around Winnipeg, also any info on the job market for Indian IT professionals, and also good locations to live community and school district-wise.

Please help. If you would like to communicate offline, please email relocateca2005 @ yahoo.com.

It is freaking cold in winnipeg most of the year , No wonder you do not find immigrants moving there . Also what would you do there. It does not have a lot of jobs etc

Think about it !!

Moving to Winnipeg is a great idea

Contrary to belief, Winnipeg is one of the best kept secrets in Canada!! Sizeable population (upwards of 700,000) and densely populated surrounding communities. Rate of immigration is not very high thus jobs are easier to find! Don't let few degrees of temperature variations fool you; when its winter in Canada you can't venture out without proper protection in any city east of Calgary! Very good health system and excellant public facilities (parks and recreations!!). Moreover Winnipeg provides food/shelter and baby sitting for the new immigrants till they get settled. And all this is possible because not many people know about it. Make an informed decision. Good luck with your move.

aquagemini, grunggy, and bhand11683 thank you very much for your responses. Aquagemini: thank you for info about the food/shelter and baby sitting info - I was not aware of it. I will review the Winnipeg and Manitoba state and city sites for info on these programs. Grunggy, thank you very much for the website links, I will review them this evening (I am still at work). Bhand 11683 = we do not mind the cold, we have lived in cold climates in the US (Detroit, Chicago and Minneapolis) and I dont think it will get all that much colder. Jobs are what I am really worried about, not finding many jobs in Winnipeg at monster.ca. What I believe is if I am moving without a job, might as well move to a low cost of living area rather than a high cost of living area.