Will those of you with experience please enlighten me...

Antilope

Registered Users (C)
I found this board just a little while back and I am so confused and amazed by some of the things you guy talk about and do while you're waiting for your green cards/visas. Firstly, I do have a lawyer, and he gets paid a poopload of money to deal with my paperwork and tell me "everything will be fine, don't worry just go home and wait, oh and sign here, and here, and here". OK, so I sent my I485 a week ago and I am waiting for their letter to say they got it and my case number so I can track the status, etc etc etc. THIS I learned about for free from this board. In the meantime I am starting to freak out over posts like "I sent a letter to the first lady" or "I wrote my senator" or "waiting for 10 years and not a word from them". When exactly does one have to consider doing that and does that always get results? Basically, I am confused about...everything. What now?? :mad: Watch no one reply because everyone's checking their own threads regarding their own problems:D I pick my nose and I look at the fruit of my labor. If you mention that when you reply I'll know you read everything. :cool:

reply.
I am really glad I didn't know this site. otherwise I would be worried for years.

Honestly, I am also starting to wonder if it would've been better not to have found it. It pretty much has all the worst case scenarios, enough to keep you up at night.

Thanks for the reply:D

You'll be amazed how the green card process have been going along. This forum gives a realistic picture of how things are processed. Bottom line, there is no ultimate trend on when someone will get their 485s approved. What this forum also provides is a sense of comradely assistance to everyone.

Don't get me wrong I too get frustrated seeing all the desperate measures other people takes. As I wait in line for my turn, I learn from others here how and when to initiate certain options.

I suppose one can take on a more positive approach. Instead of feeling negative about some treads, we may take this as a tool for learning just incase we encounter situations where we may apply what we have read here.

As far as your comment on writing to Senators/Congressmen, I suppose you have not crossed the line of having sleeplessness. Normally this is an option when your processing time is pass due and have not heard anything from USCIS.

Peace...

Antilope, every case is unique, and not everyone needs to contact their Congress(wo)men or the First Lady.

Many people have their cases approved within 6 months, while there are many people waiting for over a year.

The overall gloomy scenario prevalent on this site might be due to "self selection" bias. Only if someone's case is pending for months, would they be coming over to these online forums to vent and rant. Think about it: if your case is approved within a few months, there is not much incentive to rant at an online forum.

So take it easy and chill. Almost everyone finally gets their GC approved - some just get it earlier than others. However, that's not to imply that you should do nothing even when your case is pending for months.

Once your case crosses the 6-month period, you might consider writing to Senators, etc.

Btw, which country are you from? That might also have a bearing as to how long it might take to process your case.

I found this board just a little while back and I am so confused and amazed by some of the things you guy talk about and do while you're waiting for your green cards/visas. Firstly, I do have a lawyer, and he gets paid a poopload of money to deal with my paperwork and tell me "everything will be fine, don't worry just go home and wait, oh and sign here, and here, and here". OK, so I sent my I485 a week ago and I am waiting for their letter to say they got it and my case number so I can track the status, etc etc etc. THIS I learned about for free from this board. In the meantime I am starting to freak out over posts like "I sent a letter to the first lady" or "I wrote my senator" or "waiting for 10 years and not a word from them". When exactly does one have to consider doing that and does that always get results? Basically, I am confused about...everything. What now?? :mad: Watch no one reply because everyone's checking their own threads regarding their own problems:D I pick my nose and I look at the fruit of my labor. If you mention that when you reply I'll know you read everything. :cool:

I appreciate the replies everyone!

american_in_usa, I am from Bulgaria. What do you think, good or bad for the overall process?

you are worldwide category and if you had already filed that means you are current. which is good. many categories have retrogressed which creates major delays in processing.

Server Of Frustration or Relief

This site is a "Server Of Frustration or Relief".
If you move around wisely, and just want to know specifics and do not want to apply these on your case..., you will always enjoy and never get frustrated. I come and visit here to see trend, progression, sharing.

This forum helped me a lot, when I (together with my family) was stuck in name check - then I spent a lot of time here and was able to find out what to do - and I did that and it helped.
I appreciate very much all help from others and all info they share. I myself got addicted to this site, even after being approved...just learning other peoples experience and answering some questions to which I know the answers from my own experience.