Will this help?

NO IT WILL NOT

This does not help us. This paper is talking about the types of applications and petitions that can be adjudicated immediately after filing, but are delayed for a lengthy period because the INS lacks resources to process them.

Asylee applications cannot be approved because the law says that only 10,000 can adjust each year. The only remedy is for Congress to raise the limit. Without such action, we are all condemned to an infinite limbo. This will only grow longer and longer for people.

No Title

I agree that this will not help on the 10,000 cap. But hopefully it will help to reach the 10,000 cap. We know that they wasted so many already in recently years.

I agreed

But the 5-7 year wait that we have been talking about is based on the assumption that the INS proceesses 10,000 per year. If it does not, (as has been the case recently), then the wait is going to be far longer. If congress is unwilling to raise the cap, then the least it can do is to allows the INS recapture the numbers it has wasted

No Title

I was wondering if there is any effective way to make INS recapture the numbers it has wasted, and what could be done in this regard. I believe INS position is going to be that the unused numbers can not be recaptured and; consequently, they were lost the same FY when they were not used.
On the other hand, it can be argued that during the last three FY\'s the number of asylees adjustments were well below 30,000 and the unused numbers could be used in this FY without being against what INA rules in this matter.
Would be interesting to know INS opinion.