• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Will being selected for DV2006 affect my chances of getting a J1?

KiwiNZ

Registered Users (C)
Hi there,

A few days ago I received notification from KCC that I have been selected for the DV Lottery 2006. This has happened much earlier than I had expected and prior to receiving this notification, I had actually signed up for an exchange programme within the U.S - which commences on the 24th of June and ends in October. A requirement of participating in that programme is that I attend an interview at the U.S Consulate for a J1 visa which has been scheduled for the 21st of June.

However, I am now very worried that I might not be granted that J1 visa because of the fact that I have been selected for the DV Lottery. Does anyone have any advice about what I could do here? I honestly wasn't expecting to hear from KCC so soon, if at all! Can I still follow the process of having an interview for the J1 visa since I cannot file my greencard papers until October (which is when my J1 will expire)?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm in a bit of a panic now because of my job in the U.S which starts next month.

Thank you in advance,
KiwiNZ

HI,
I think you should go for DV2006, because J-1 is a temporary visa and most J1 visas get two-year foreign residency requirement. That means that before you can apply for H or green card visa, you would have to spend two years in your home country or you would have to get a waiver from US State Dept.

Hi Blue,

Thanks for your suggestion. I do intend to file for the greencard but to my understanding, this cannot be done until October (fiscal year rule) at which stage my J1 would have expired because it will only be from June til October (4 months). There is no 2 year foreign residency requirement on the particular J1 that I will be interviewed for in a few weeks time.

My one and only worry is can I still go for that J1 visa now that I have unexpectedly been notified as a DV Lottery winner? The job for that visa is due to start next month which is very close.

How can you be sure about two-year foreign residency requirement? Have you seen the visa? I went for an internship that had nothing to do with gov't and they still put the requirement. If you are absolutely sure that there is no requirement, just go with J1 and when it's done file for CP for DV2006. Since you cannot file before October anyway, how can they know you've got the DV2006 package unless you mention it at the interview.

Hi Blue,

I am not 100% sure that there will not be a foreign residency requirement, I guess I will need to check that one out. Looking ahead and assuming that there is no such requirement, I read on a lawyer's website that the consulate do not need to know of an entry to the the DV Lottery but if you are selected - they will know. I'm more or less just questioning now, whether they will actually grant me the J1 since I now obviously have the "intent" to move to the U.S.

I just remembered: when I was going for J1 program, I had to sign my visa before the interview. Those were some yellow and pick papers. On the back side of that paper was the statement about two-year foreign residency requirement.

Hi Blue,

I honestly don't think that there is a 2 year foreign residency requirement on this particular programme because participants are able to repeat it each year. I still haven't managed to find out my chances of getting it now that I have been selected for the lottery though.