Wife\'s status after I-485

bjmi

Registered Users (C)
I would ask you friends a question regarding my wife’s status.

Our situation:
  My wife is on a F1 visa. She will graduate from school next month
  I am on a H1 visa
  We filed I-485 and are waiting for the approval (wife is derivative beneficiary)

I am worrying if my wife will be out of status next month.

In order to legally stay in US after graduation, does my wife has to either change her status to H4, or apply for practical training to extend her F1 for one more year?

A friend told me that there is no problem of going out of status as long as her I485 is pending. She is in status and only needs EAD if she wants to work. Is this for sure?

Sorry for the long post. Thanks in advance for your input.

She is and will be in status

She doesn\'t need to do anything to be in status because of her I-485 pending status. She does need an EAD to work though. If you haven\'t applied for her EAD along with her I-485 application, then you\'d better do it now. (The EAD application is very simple. She could do it all by herself.)

I assume that her F-1 status became invalid as soon as she filed her I-485 application. If she was not getting financial support or taking part-time job at school, then she should be fine.

Nervous

Receipt notice

Hope she\'s gotten a receipt notice for her I-485. If she has, then she is in status till a decision is made on her I-485 petition.