Wife Immigrant Petition .....Affidavit of Support question

harsha_c

Registered Users (C)
Hi

I applied for i 130 and need to put affidavit of support for my wife ( i 864) because the date is to become current soon..

However I have been doing internet start up last year with less income and would like to use two relatives as joint sponsors. Do I still need to submit a form (i 864 )from my side or is it sufficient that I submit only the joint sponsors i 864s?

Thanks for advice ....

Hi

I applied for i 130 and need to put affidavit of support for my wife ( i 864) because the date is to become current soon..

However I have been doing internet start up last year with less income and would like to use two relatives as joint sponsors. Do I still need to submit a form (i 864 )from my side or is it sufficient that I submit only the joint sponsors i 864s?

You are the petitioner, so you need to file I-864 regardless of your income level. If your income and assets are insufficient, you can get a joint sponsor or household member who would file an additional I-864 or I-864A respectively.

However, there are restrictions on using multiple joint sponsors, and you mentioned two relatives as potential joint sponsors. How are they related to you, and related to each other? Do they live in the same household with you? With each other? Those facts affect whether they may combine income with you or each other for this purpose, or whether you'll have to choose just one.

Thanks Jackolantern,

I will submit a I - 864 from my side.

As to the two joint sponsors, one is a family friend and the other my cousin. They are not related to each other and are not in the same household at all and live in different places with their own sources of income...

Primarily I am asking for

a) income details, asset details
b) past 2 year tax returns
c) few pay checks
d) employment letter etc

etc

Would it be a problem with my income as a start up founder (pre revenue, no income) and no substantial assets? However
I am putting couple of years ( 5 - 6) of tax transcripts with decent income before the start up efforts etc

As to the two joint sponsors, one is a family friend and the other my cousin. They are not related to each other and are not in the same household at all and live in different places with their own sources of income...
So neither of them meet the criteria to be your household member or each other's household member. That means you'll have to pick just one of them, who must have enough income or assets to meet the support requirements without combining with you or each other.

How far are you below the income requirement for the Affidavit of Support? I presume you're still a permanent resident based on your mention of priority dates, so every $5 of assets would offset the income requirement by $1 (if you were a citizen the ratio would be 3 to 1). So if you're $2000 short of income you'll need $10000 of assets to make up the difference. Your wife's assets can also be included.

Yes, I am a permanent resident.. Since 2012 have been involved in building a start up. Basically where it says "current annual income" in I 864 do not have much to report or provide any US w2s etc..have some one off overseas returns income but not recurring etc...Past tax returns in 60k - 70k range etc...

I guess I need to off set the deficit amount by showing savings to the tune of what you indicated above etc.. Would it help to put a second supporting affidavit of support or I just need one supporting affidavit of support but make sure my assets cover the deficit of income due to my entrepreneurship track? Just wondering how others do it if they are involved in start up situation with no income at all etc...

Thanks a lot!

If your assets are enough to make up the difference when using the 5 to 1 calculation, you won't need another affidavit of support.

Just wondering how others do it if they are involved in start up situation with no income at all etc...
Assets!

In case I do not have the assets covering 5:1 would a joint sponsor (financially sound) or two joint sponsors would suffice?
or is it a deal breaker when they look at my profile etc .. My startup firm is C-corp incorporated etc.. Thanks