Wife got green card. Does she need her old country's passport to go to Canada?

tr3

Registered Users (C)
Hello all,

My wife has just received her green card. She's a Thai citizen. We are planning to go to Canada by driving across the border in Washington State. My question is, does she need to bring her Thai passport with her? I ask because I heard in the news that US citizens do not have to have a passport to go to Canada by driving yet. And my wife's Thai passport is about to expire in one month.

If you have a green card, do you need to have a passport at all to drive over to Canada and come back to the US?

Thanks!

The rule change you're talking about happens in Jan 2008 I believe, which will mean that all travel between Canada and the USA will require passport. Right now I think a passport is required for travel by air between USA and Canada, which is a new rule.

As for a Green Card holder, I believe a Green Card should be enough if you want to travel to Canada by land for now (until that Jan 2008 date), but this is a question best asked of the State department.

dr_lha said:
The rule change you're talking about happens in Jan 2008 I believe, which will mean that all travel between Canada and the USA will require passport. Right now I think a passport is required for travel by air between USA and Canada, which is a new rule.

As for a Green Card holder, I believe a Green Card should be enough if you want to travel to Canada by land for now (until that Jan 2008 date), but this is a question best asked of the State department.

That is not correct. If you are a Green Card holder, you do not need a passport to go to Canada by land or sea from the US. Green Card is considered as a valid ID. The new rule only applies to US citizens.

Again, if you have a Green Card, you do not need a passport to go to Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, when you said

As for a Green Card holder, I believe a Green Card should be enough if you want to travel to Canada by land for now (until that Jan 2008 date),....

It makes it seem as if a green card holder will need a passport to go to Canada after that date. Just trying to be helpful dude. There is a common misconception out there that Green Card holders need a passport to go to Canada.

Cheers :)