• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Why some lawyers said that applying to the gc lottery can disqualify from non immigrant visas? Do the passport rule change something?

Enricafleres

There are different views about this. Someone says that consulars are able to search dv applicants online and that the passport rule will make it easier to deny non immigrant visas and others says the contrary about it. If you had experience or you know about someone who experienced this It’d be very helpful for me to know it!

Entering a lottery is not immigrant intent and not a reason to deny visas. This is a myth in existence long before the current rules.

Entering a lottery is not immigrant intent and not a reason to deny visas. This is a myth in existence long before the current rules.
Thanks for your answer, I did this question because there are lawyers on sites as avvo or quora that are saying that entering to the lottery could be a problem so why they’re saying that?

Thanks for your answer, I did this question because there are lawyers on sites as avvo or quora that are saying that entering to the lottery could be a problem so why they’re saying that?
Because the number of lawyers who actually know anything about DV is tiny. I have seen really bad (outright wrong) advice about DV questions on avvo, and all avvo advice anyway seems to end in “you need to contact an immigration lawyer” , even the most straightforward case. They’re on the site to drum up buisness, not out of the goodness of their hearts.

Put it this way: something like 20 MILLION people a year enter DV, of which maybe 100k get selected in a typical year. If even a fraction of the rest of the 19.9m were applying for and being denied tourist visas every year because they’d entered a lottery, don’t you think there would be complaints all over the visa forums? Yet, I’ve never once come across anyone posting that.
It’s like saying the IRS wants to audit you because you entered the $$ lottery.

Because the number of lawyers who actually know anything about DV is tiny. I have seen really bad (outright wrong) advice about DV questions on avvo, and all avvo advice anyway seems to end in “you need to contact an immigration lawyer” , even the most straightforward case. They’re on the site to drum up buisness, not out of the goodness of their hearts.

Put it this way: something like 20 MILLION people a year enter DV, of which maybe 100k get selected in a typical year. If even a fraction of the rest of the 19.9m were applying for and being denied tourist visas every year because they’d entered a lottery, don’t you think there would be complaints all over the visa forums? Yet, I’ve never once come across anyone posting that.
It’s like saying the IRS wants to audit you because you entered the $$ lottery.
Ok thanks, so the passport rule will not change anything?

Ok thanks, so the passport rule will not change anything?
The passport rule was implemented to reduce fraud in the application process. It is not some evil conspiracy to capture details for nefarious reasons so that wicked consulates can deny B visas for non-existent reasons.

The passport rule was implemented to reduce fraud in the application process. It is not some evil conspiracy to capture details for nefarious reasons so that wicked consulates can deny B visas for non-existent reasons.
so it cannot deny b visas as it cannot deny other visas (m, j, etc) right?

Okay last answer. Is there an official online source saying that applying to the lottery is not a reason for a visa disqualification? Can you give me the link?

There are different views about this. Someone says that consulars are able to search dv applicants online and that the passport rule will make it easier to deny non immigrant visas and others says the contrary about it. If you had experience or you know about someone who experienced this It’d be very helpful for me to know it!
When filling out a nonimmigrant application you will see a question "have you ever participated in a DV lottery?". I answered " yes" and this did not prevent me from getting my tourist visa to visit the United States. Hope this helps.