Who needs to file form AR-11 for address change

T-Rex

Registered Users (C)
I moved to my current address over two and half yrs ago. Since then I have had my H1B transferred and filed my I-485, all at my current address.
Do I still need to file form AR-11 for address change. Though my lawyer say I should, I was unsure what impact this may have on my pending I-485 application. Any views from experts or other folks who may have heard from their attorneys.

:confused:

Hey T-Rex,

I am in the very same boat. Except that instead of 2.5 years, I moved about a year ago. And my lawyer insists on the same thing.

However, I have travelled on AP and my current address should be on records (by virtue of filling out I-94), but still my lawyer suggested to file AR-11.

I guess there is no other way. Even I am worried, whether it may confuse the officials at INS and might affect the pending AOS.

Any others in the same situation and having filed AR-11 with or without any effect.

StillWaiting...

Same boat...

We moved 4 months ago. I just talked to the lawyer. HE said it will not harm to send the AR-11 form. I just mailed it using regular mail. It seems pretty simple and straight forward. My attorny mentioned that the address where you send this does not accept registred mail. So there is no way the INS can prove otherwise.(That you haven't sent the AR-11 form). My lawyer mentioned that they are using the address change law to remove unwanted people. But hey, it does not hurt to cover all your bases.

I don't see how it will affect the pending I-485 processing.

How d'u say no registered mail?...

The mailing address (as indicated on the form) is

U.S. Dept. of Justice
Immigration and Naturalization Service
HQ ORM
425 I Street NW
ULLICO 4th Floor
Washington, DC 20536.

Though I have not sent them yet, can u tell me why, one cannot send registered mail to this addr.?

In fact I was thinking of REg. mail, to prove that I have sent it!

Any experienced people who have sent reg. mail and have gotten Return Receipt?

StillWaiting...

Don't they already have your address....

When you filed for 485 you provided them with your latest current address and also in biographic information sheet you write all the address you stayed previously. So, I don't see the need to file AR-11. It will only confuse INS and they may even delay cases and I have also heard that sometimes they lose files when you file for change of address. I don't know how but it has happened with some ppl.

This is getting ridiculously crazy. Why AR-11 when they already have your current address ???? Can anyone answer this question

Even though your case is pending

and you might have notified NSC about the address change (I did the same), you are required by law to send in AR-11 to INS HQ in Washington DC on that address.

As far as the registered mail goes my lawyer told me that the address listed above does not accept registered mail. This issue will be brought up in next AILA meeting with INS. You can try sending Rrg. Mail and see what happens.

what is alien registration card #

What is alien registration card ###? Is it same as A# in EAD ?

Please post ur comments.