While you are waiting for extension

loveusa03

Registered Users (C)
My H1 expires in June'03, and about to apply for the extension. What if I do not receive any approval by June and then asked by one of the legal authorities in the country in July or beyond to prove my status. Will I be considered out of status, since I won't have any proof that my visa has been extended?

Originally posted by loveusa03
My H1 expires in June'03, and about to apply for the extension. What if I do not receive any approval by June and then asked by one of the legal authorities in the country in July or beyond to prove my status. Will I be considered out of status, since I won't have any proof that my visa has been extended?

When you apply for extension of your H-1B, you will get a receipt notice from the service center. You are legally allowed to work for 240 days from the date you file for your extension or BCIS's approval/denial of your application which ever occurs first. You can provide the receipt notice as proof of status. The other option is to pay $1000 and get your extension processed via premium processing. My application for 8th year extension under premium processing was approved in 3 business days.