Which VISA can be available for Accounting Professional ?

Udupi

Registered Users (C)
Hello,

I am on H4 at present. I got MBA from US. I am likely going to get an offer for Tax/Audit Associate position in an International CPA firm. Since H1B quota depleted, do I have any alternatives to get work authorization ? Am I eligible to get H2B or J1 Visa ? If I can, what are the hurdles I might have to face in processing the H2B and J1 visa.

Any responses will be sincerely appreciated.

Thanks

> Am I eligible to get H2B

Do you want to pick Tomatoes ? Isn't that he agricultural temporary worker visa ?

> or J1 Visa ?

There are a couple of companies that sponsor J1s as a service for internships and the like. I would be careful, accounting is on the 'skills list' for most countries, as a result a J1 visa for 'accounting trainee' could buy you a 'foreign residency requirement' which is notoriously difficult to get rid of.

If it is an international CPA firm, they might be able to deploy you overseas for a couple of months and bring you back on a L1 (intracompany transferee) visa.

Thank you for your response.

Actually H2A visa is for agricultural workers - in which they can pick tomatoes, berries etc... H2B visa is for non-agricultural, temporary, seasonal skilled workers. I can try for L1, but I have to go out of country. These people want me here to start right away. how about J1 visa ? Can I try it ? Can I ask them to get me hired and transferred to here from India or Canada (I am Canadian PR, Indian Citizen) on J1 ?

Thanks

Udupi

The key is seasonal. I think this is the visa many hotels use to get seasonal staff from Jamaica and the Phillipines. But it also has a cap and the hotels keep whining that they can't get enough staff this year. It is also limited to I believe 6 months, doesn't sound like a great idea.

With J1 you have the foreign residency issue. It also limits your income to whatever is written on the DS2091 form and doesn't allow you to do any work on the side. Also, after that many years in the country on an H1 they might infer immigration intent which is not permissible with a J1. J1 is for training only, I don't think you have to be transferred within the company.