Which Passport to use

galaxy3

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

A friend of mine is an australian citizen. He has 5 years multiple entry visa for India. He recently acquired US citizenship and applied for US passport. Questions

i) Can he travel and enter India using his Australian passport that has valid Indian VISA?

ii) Can he use his US passport, instead of australian, to travel back to US ? would there be any problem in India at the time of leaving ?

iii) Is it possible to transfer visa from one passport (australian) to another passport (US). I have heard about transferring valid VISA from old/ expired passport to new passport, but not sure in his case

iv) Are there any precaution that one needs to take while leaving US. I mean should he show both passports or one that has visa to the clerk. Any precaution in India that he has to take ?

Greatly appreciate if someone can share experience.

Thanks

Hi there!

I do not know about the other issues you raised, but he has to use his U.S. passport to reenter the United States.

Cheers!

galaxy3 said:
Hi,

A friend of mine is an australian citizen. He has 5 years multiple entry visa for India. He recently acquired US citizenship and applied for US passport. Questions

i) Can he travel and enter India using his Australian passport that has valid Indian VISA?

ii) Can he use his US passport, instead of australian, to travel back to US ? would there be any problem in India at the time of leaving ?

iii) Is it possible to transfer visa from one passport (australian) to another passport (US). I have heard about transferring valid VISA from old/ expired passport to new passport, but not sure in his case

iv) Are there any precaution that one needs to take while leaving US. I mean should he show both passports or one that has visa to the clerk. Any precaution in India that he has to take ?

Thanks

i) the simplest way is to get a tourist visa with his US passport (assuming he will be travelling to India from the US)

ii) If you are a USC, you must enter and leave USA with a US passport

iii) Not possible to transfer a visa from Australian passport to US passport. This is only possible if you are transferring visa from old passport to new passport (as long as the old/new passports belong to the same country)

iv) Follow i) and get a visa for your US passport.

galaxy3 said:
Hi,

Thanks

The Consulate General of India's (San Francisco) website says that there is a $25 fee to transfer a visa. But it states that a visa can be transferred from an expired passport to a new passport. Does not say anything about transferring between two different passports.

I would suspect that it is non-transferrable because the conditions based on which you applied for the visa have changed (citizenship).

HTH.

While departing the US, your friend would have to produce his US and Australian passports. The latter is needed for him to demonstrate to the airline agent that he can enter India legally.

While entering and leaving India, your friend would merely have to use his Australian passport.

While entering the US after his trip to India, your friend would have to produce his US passport only.

And someone once said the more the citizenship and thereby the passports you have, the better the position you are in...Ain't that an oxymoron :confused:

C R S said:
While departing the US, your friend would have to produce his US and Australian passports. The latter is needed for him to demonstrate to the airline agent that he can enter India legally.

While entering and leaving India, your friend would merely have to use his Australian passport.

While entering the US after his trip to India, your friend would have to produce his US passport only.

Bingo! C R S is spot on. That is exactly one of my acquaintances did twice.

tdesai said:
And someone once said the more the citizenship and thereby the passports you have, the better the position you are in...Ain't that an oxymoron :confused:

only a rocket scientist can figure out what u meant...sorry!
:D