Which is better? Replying RFE by ourself or the lawyer

sam99

Registered Users (C)
I'm in dilemma now and I need suggestion from you guys. My lawyer got the RFE notice today and RFE is very simple, last 6 paystubs and W2 for 2002.

My attorney is charging $250 to reply RFE and she also gave me the option to file by mself if I don't intend to pay. So my question is which is better option, should I reply by myself to VSC or the lawyer will be more effective.

Appreciate all your suggestion from RFE guys.

Do you hire the lawyer yourself?

Corporate lawyers should reply the RFE themselves, not sure about private lawyer.

But $250 is not much, why not ask him/her to prepare the RFE package, and let you review it
before send to VSC.

Originally posted by dengdeng
Do you hire the lawyer yourself?

Corporate lawyers should reply the RFE themselves, not sure about private lawyer.

But $250 is not much, why not ask him/her to prepare the RFE package, and let you review it
before send to VSC.

Mine is AC21 case so I hired the lawyer myself after changing my job.

Then better let lawyer do it. Don't forget to include copy of AC 21 explanation in your RFE package.

Originally posted by dengdeng
Then better let lawyer do it. Don't forget to include copy of AC 21 explanation in your RFE package.

What's AC21 explanations? Is that something officially about AC21?

BTW, $250 is not much. I guess my greedy lawyer would charge me $1500 at least.

Isn't replying to RFE included in the fee? I hate when the lawyers charge extra for everything. They don't specify while you are hiring them.

I went with Gary Furin in Atlanta; he is so greedy that he charged me when he made photocopies of the original when he filed for 485.

Suggest hire a lawyer.
$250 is nothing compared to the shock if you are going to receive when you mess up filing yourself. You will even not come to know that you have screwed yourself. When you come to know its too late.
Atleast filing thru an attorney becomes more or less his responsibility and the liar is questionable since he/she is an authorized representative of law.
A liar can follow up with the spilt milk but you do not have even that right.
So take it easy, dump it on attorneys head and sleep tight.
From my bitter experience-- review your application personally before submitting. I noticed that my attorney while replying to RFE had wrong EAC and A# printed on the application. When questioned, said OH! that does not make much difference. Charged me $250 well in advance and did not take any action wharsoever until the check was encashed and credited into her account.
Learn Baby!!

AC21 the law, and why you can benefit from the law, such as your case has been pending over 180 days, you can change job based on the law.....
just a reminder to the stupid VSC officer, who may
mess up your case without that piece of paper.

Even I assumed fees paid initially include everything except Interview at local office. BTW, my lawyer represents from Sheela Murthy office. What a way to make money? :mad:

sam99, a help...

Hi Sam99,

Can you please provide me the attorney details (name, address and phone #) whom you've hired??

I am also in the same boat, used AC21 but no attorney right now.

Also, if you don't mind could you please post the contract details with your attorney like fee details, which is included, which is not etc.

I can give you my email ID, if you want it.

Sam99:

I replied RFE by myself in May.
BCIS doesn¡¯t care the response of RFE come from you or your lawyer.

What you need to do:
1. a simple cover letter
2. original RFE notice
3. pay stubs and w2
4. copy of passport
5. copy of I485 receipt
6. copy of EAD card
7. mail all these by USPS Express or FedEx

But think about your case is AC21 and different from mine....

Last edited by a moderator:
sam99,
$250 is a small amount and it's better if your files the reply. Could you please tell me how much he charged you when he took up your case ? Most of the people here will be using AC21 and hence it would help us if we know how much it costs us to hire a new lawyer ?

Originally posted by gc_2000
Sam99:

I replied RFE by myself in May.
BCIS doesn¡¯t care the response of RFE come from you or your lawyer.

What you need to do:
1. a simple cover letter
2. original RFE notice
3. pay stubs and w2
4. copy of passport
5. copy of I485 receipt
6. copy of EAD card
7. mail all these by USPS Express or FedEx

But think about your case is AC21 and different from mine....

Thanks gc_2000 for the reply. Can you please post cover letter, if u can. Thanks.

Originally posted by dsatish
sam99,
$250 is a small amount and it's better if your files the reply. Could you please tell me how much he charged you when he took up your case ? Most of the people here will be using AC21 and hence it would help us if we know how much it costs us to hire a new lawyer ?

She initally charged $2000 for my 485 case and each single RFE cost me $250 and local interview cost $500. Isn't it a nice profession to make money :D

Re: sam99, a help...

Originally posted by gc_lotto
Hi Sam99,

Can you please provide me the attorney details (name, address and phone #) whom you've hired??

I am also in the same boat, used AC21 but no attorney right now.

Also, if you don't mind could you please post the contract details with your attorney like fee details, which is included, which is not etc.

I can give you my email ID, if you want it.

you can PM me your email id and I will provide all the details tommorrow.

my cover letter:

To: Immigration and Naturalization Service
Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
ST. Albans, VT 05479

1XXX XX Street
XXXX, MD 20XXX

Date: May 20, 2003

Dear Sir/Madam:

As your request, I am enclosing herewith the following documents for your review.
1. An original Employment letter from XXX, Inc
2. My Federal Income Tax Returns in 2002, including all schedules and Forms W-2 / Forms 1099
3. My earnings statements for last six months
4. An original Form I-693

My I-485 receipt number is EAC02055XXXX. If you have any question, you can contact my lawyer Mr. XX XXXX at:
8XX XX St
Vienna, VA 22XXX

Sincerely

Sam:

Re: my cover letter:

Originally posted by gc_2000
To: Immigration and Naturalization Service
Vermont Service Center
75 Lower Welden Street
ST. Albans, VT 05479

1XXX XX Street
XXXX, MD 20XXX

Date: May 20, 2003

Dear Sir/Madam:

As your request, I am enclosing herewith the following documents for your review.
1. An original Employment letter from XXX, Inc
2. My Federal Income Tax Returns in 2002, including all schedules and Forms W-2 / Forms 1099
3. My earnings statements for last six months
4. An original Form I-693

My I-485 receipt number is EAC02055XXXX. If you have any question, you can contact my lawyer Mr. XX XXXX at:
8XX XX St
Vienna, VA 22XXX

Sincerely

Sam:

Thanks buddy.

Originally posted by sam99
She initally charged $2000 for my 485 case and each single RFE cost me $250 and local interview cost $500. Isn't it a nice profession to make money :D

how much do they ask for an EAD renewal? I know you don't need to hire a lawyer for that.

Originally posted by GCJourney
how much do they ask for an EAD renewal? I know you don't need to hire a lawyer for that.

I did EAD renewal by myself. I beleive they don't charge for EAD renewal.

Finally I replied my RFE by myself with all supporting documents. I see no difference between lawyer and myself when it comes to replying RFE as base documents will be all same except cover letter from law firm, which they charge $250 just for that.

Hope to hear soon from VSC. Guys wish me luck.