Which I -94 is valid? 485 question

TELL_ME

Registered Users (C)
Which I-94 is valid?

While working for company A, company B transferred my H1B and received an approval notice with integral part of the approval notice (say the i94 number is 2288909 09 and valid until Dec 07).

Did not join company B immediately.

After this approval came through, had to travel to Mexico for less than 5 days with company A and surrendered only
the i-94 for company A (did not surrender I-94 for company B though both numbers were the same).
Returned from Mexico on new I-94 card still with old company A. Say that new I-94 number is 3399008 04, and had lot less
validity on it (valid until Mar,05).

Joined company B after about a month. Went to the local CBP to revalidate my I-94 to reflect my I-94 with the new validity date.
The CBP agent removed my new white I-94 card and kept with him saying that he will return it to the service center and i should keep the one that came with my H1B transfer.

What is the last action rule for the I-94 here? Is he correct? Now i do not have a copy of my white I-94 card and want to make sure i am in compliance with the USCIS policy. Is this unlawful presence? Will this create any issues during AOS or 485 filing (employment based)?

Thoughts?