where is PERM,Back log reduction centers??

pani_6

Registered Users (C)
Is the news about back log reduction centers right that it will begin only after OCT 05 budget??...

Update on PERM

On March 4, 2004, the following information was provided by the DOL at a liaison meeting with AILA. DOL considers the fact that the PERM regulation was sent to OMB on February 23, 2004, is a milestone and a significant accomplishment. OMB has up to 90 days to consider the regulation and can seek an extension. If OMB has substantial comments, DOL would need to consider and resolve any issues raised by OMB before the final rule is published. DOL anticipates that PERM will start 120 days after publication. There are funds in the budget to implement PERM. DOL did not say when the PERM regulations would be published. Before implementation, the PERM processing centers must be made operational with space secured, systems in place, staffing arranged, and policies established. DOL anticipated that there will be two PERM processing centers, located in Atlanta and Chicago, reporting to the national office. DOL says the agency remains committed to implementing PERM and believes that PERM is a major reform that will solve many problems in the existing foreign labor certification program. For example, two important goals of PERM are faster and more consistent adjudications. Between the publication and implementation of PERM, DOL will post information on its website explaining the PERM form, the process, and the differences between the NPRM and the final regulation.

Source:
http://www.schulzlaw.com/mschulz_perm.php

I remember reading on immigration-law.com that the contract will not be awarded by DOL to the backlog deduction contractors until May 2004. My guess is that things may start to pick up in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year after they sign the contract.

Originally posted by mvinays
I remember reading on immigration-law.com that the contract will not be awarded by DOL to the backlog deduction contractors until May 2004. My guess is that things may start to pick up in the 3rd or 4th quarter of this year after they sign the contract.

The RFP actually required that backlog centers begin operating 60 days after contract was awarded. If the contract was really awarded in May 2004 then I would expect the centers to begin operating in July 2004.