When to shred the non-immigrant papers?

Orleans

Registered Users (C)
I feel fortunate to be asking this question. When is a good time to shred the non-immigrant documents such as I-20s, EAD, I-140, I-485 etc. I am a brand new citizen and will be applying for my passport shortly. Thanks.

I feel fortunate to be asking this question. When is a good time to shred the non-immigrant documents such as I-20s, EAD, I-140, I-485 etc. I am a brand new citizen and will be applying for my passport shortly. Thanks.

Never. You never know when you might have to come back and check something ;) However, if you are determined to do it, do it now, there is no timeline for this ;)

Most others shredded them at the time of becoming PR, thinking PR was already the end of non-returnable journey at that time. In fact, originals of non-immigration documments are supposed to be handled over to USCIS when ordering the physical green card just like all PR original docuemnts are suppsoed to
be handled over to USCIS at the time of oath ceremony

Last edited by a moderator:

NEVER. Unless someone is a born citizen, it is always prudent to keep those immigration documents safely. Nobody knows what happens in future and what documents might be asked by the govt. again. If you ask what are the chances of asking, very very less but not completely ruled out. Anyway, what is so big deal about holding those documents. At the max, they will be like 10 pages, I-20, H-1's, LC approval, I-140 approval notice and I-485 approval notice. I am sure they can be placed easily in a folder.

NEVER. Unless someone is a born citizen, it is always prudent to keep those immigration documents safely. Nobody knows what happens in future and what documents might be asked by the govt. again. If you ask what are the chances of asking, very very less but not completely ruled out. Anyway, what is so big deal about holding those documents. At the max, they will be like 10 pages, I-20, H-1's, LC approval, I-140 approval notice and I-485 approval notice. I am sure they can be placed easily in a folder.

Maybe just file a FOIA request to get everything possible from USCIS plus CBP