When filling N400, discovered that I had to register for Selective Service

flagman

Registered Users (C)
What a surprise, filling N400 based on 5 year green card.
I've received Green Card in 2014 when I was 26, but has been granted Asylum status when I was 25.
How on Earth could I know about Selective Service registration.
Now I'm 30 and can't figure out what to do?
Wait till I'm 31 and then what should I check in Part 12, 44 C?
Or apply now and explain that I did not know?

Fill out the app. Be truthful

If it comes up in the interview. Explain very politely your situation, as far as not knowing .Somehow convince the IO that you knew nothing about signing up for selective service . You might still get denied though . Waiting 1 more year might be your best bet . Thats if taking a chance with your filing fee being wasted doesnt bother you, go for it now.

Funny you mentioned not knowing ,i remember when i filled out my n400 app and was worried as i couldnt remember ever filling that out . But after checking i did sign up for selective service 11 years prior in HS. When i was filling out College Applications .

But when filling as 31, there are only two options:

C. If you answered "Yes," but you did not register with the Selective Service System and you are:

1. Still under 26 years of age, you must register before you apply for naturalization, and complete the Selective Service information above;

2. Now 26 to 31 years of age (29 years of age if you are filing under INA section 319(a)), but you did not register with the Selective Service, you must attach a statement explaining why you did not register, and provide a status information letter from the Selective Service.

What if more than 31? What to answer?

But when filling as 31, there are only two options:

C. If you answered "Yes," but you did not register with the Selective Service System and you are:

1. Still under 26 years of age, you must register before you apply for naturalization, and complete the Selective Service information above;

2. Now 26 to 31 years of age (29 years of age if you are filing under INA section 319(a)), but you did not register with the Selective Service, you must attach a statement explaining why you did not register, and provide a status information letter from the Selective Service.

What if more than 31? What to answer?
If you are 31 or over, you don't need to do anything further.

How on Earth could I know about Selective Service registration.

Newacct has answered what to do now
As to the “how on earth could you know”, you should have read the instructions about applying for green cards. It is clear in there.

If you are 31 or over, you don't need to do anything further.
44. Are you a male who lived in the United States at any time between your 18th and 26th birthdays?
I answer "Yes" without any written explanation below?

SusieQQQ, yes I obviously overlooked it.

Newacct has answered what to do now
As to the “how on earth could you know”, you should have read the instructions about applying for green cards. It is clear in there.
The OP said they got their green card after turning 26, but got asylum before turning 26. Asylees and asylum applicants are required to register for Selective Service, though I am not sure if they are told about this.

The OP said they got their green card after turning 26, but got asylum before turning 26. Asylees and asylum applicants are required to register for Selective Service, though I am not sure if they are told about this.
No, I've never been told by my attorney, unless he signed it for me. Its been a while.