When counting 90 days for EAD,is it RD or ND

It really depends on the immigration officer you talk with at your InfoPass appointment. I was told by an immigration officer that it was 90 days after the last update, which in my case is almost a month after my ND. Just make an InfoPass appointment 90 days after your RD (on the 91st day, counting RD as day 1). If you are lucky, you will get an iEAD, but there are no guarantees. Also, if your EAD has been approved when you have the appointment but you have not received it yet, then they will not give you an iEAD.

Running_swede,
I think only us people with RFEs have problems with receiving an iEAD. Others, who haven't had an RFE can walk into their DO on day 91 from their RD and will get an iEAD.

On the RFE letter it says that you can only get one 91 days from when they have received your RFE response. But I heard of one lucky case who received an iEAD 91 days after the original RD! That's why I guess you can always try. :)

Patty, I am just telling you what the immigration officer told me at my last InfoPass appointment. She said that it had to be 90 days after the last update, whatever that update was. I have an LUD of 5/30 for my I-765, which she told me was due to a change of phone number on my application (I do not know why, because I did not change my phone number). She told me that she would not be able to give me an iEAD until 90 days after the last update. I do not think that this is a correct interpretation of the rule for iEAD, but I am just saying that lunajuna could be unlucky and get an immigration officer with a similar mindset.

The immigration officer also told me that my RFE would not delay the EAD, but we seem to have evidence on this board that RFEs do delay EADs. In conclusion, nothing can be taken for granted because immigration officers do not always know what they are talking about.

Totally agree with you on that one. Many times they don't seem to know what's going on. I know that the RFE-rule for iEAD is new, because in 2005 people with an RFE could get an iEAD no problem. I mean, they are the people who need an iEAD the most, right?!
So I'm guessing that a couple of IOs just aren't familiar with the new rules. Most of the time it sucks, but in a few cases it's for your advantage!! But yeah.. all in all it's just annoying.

Is it possible to get EAD after 91st day even though you ahve not applied for EAD with your I485 reason i am asking this is.

I did not apply it with I485 since it was current now it is not so thought to apply now and MY interview is on July 31 so can I ask officer to give me EAD.

Any help would be appericated.

iEAD

Hi all

I totally agree with swede. In my case I went 91 day after my notice date. I was expecting to get iEAD with no problem; however, The officer told me you that I need to wait 90 days after any activity in my application. In my case it was my FP date. After my interview, I called the UCSIC. they tolld me that i need to wait 90 days from ND. but they also mentioned that whatever officer says is the final decision. My interview date is this Wednesday, so i am planning to make another infopass appointment right after my interview. in case of not getting the stamp on my passport(hopefully with different officer).

Good luck all

P.S. I just got my EAD approval e-mail today. I recommend to all, who is waiting for EAD to call USCIS and ask what is their processing Timings. They could tell you up to date info. Instead of checking it online(which is being update every other week).

Last edited by a moderator:
lunajuna said:
Thanks your help!

If USCIS does not approve or deny your Employment Authorization Document application within 90 days, you may request an interim Employment Authorization Document.

It is not clearly mentioned if 90 days are counted from RD or ND, but based on what i read in this forum and the EB-GC forum, the 90 days for Interim EAD are calculated from the RD (ONLY if you did not get an RFE). I got my iEAD on the 91st day of my RD (eventhough i got an RFE, things were a lil different back then).

I agreed that it really depends on the officer that you met when you went for the iEAD

Some are luck even with REF they get it on the 91day while others are turn back

Cheers