When a registered nurse gets a green card does her husband get one too?

EdmontonOilers

Registered Users (C)
Hi guys,

I am a Canadian citizen in his second year of medicine at University College Dublin in Ireland. I want to do an internal medicine residency in the US and eventually practice medicine in the US. I am well versed in my visa options for my residency in the US but quite frankly, I am not very enthusiatic about any of them. The H1-B visa is very difficult to get and the J-1 visa requires that I go back to Canada for 2 years after finishing my residency (I realize I could get a J-1 visa waiver but it is my impression that this is hard to get too).

I have been looking for ways to do my residency on a different type of visa and my friend suggested an alternative way that I wanted to run past you guys to see if its realistic. My Canadian girlfriend of 4 years is currently doing her nursing degree and will finish 2 years before I finish my med degree. If she went down to the US and started working towards a greencard immediately after her nursing degree (I understand it takes 12-18 months), would I automatically get a greencard when she gets her greencard if I married her before she gets her greencard? We have been talking about marriage recently and if I knew this was an option we would plan our marriage before she went to the US. I would also hold off on getting a J-1 or H1-B for my residency and would wait until I got my greencard before I applied for residency in the US. Should I marry her before or after she gets her greencard? How long would it take for me to get my greencard if I could get it?

Thanks guys