What to expect at the Airport - Parents of USC

dilio

Registered Users (C)
My parents got their GC approval and consular processing sucessfully completed and were given a sealed file to bring with them to show it to the agent at the airport where they will land in the US.

Have anyone gone through this before? What should they expect at the airport? Do I (USC) need to do anything else to make sure that they are not denied entry?

Thanks for your help.

Originally posted by dilio
My parents got their GC approval and consular processing sucessfully completed and were given a sealed file to bring with them to show it to the agent at the airport where they will land in the US.

Have anyone gone through this before? What should they expect at the airport? Do I (USC) need to do anything else to make sure that they are not denied entry?

Thanks for your help.

They should expect a courteous welcome to United States!

The packages they received will be opened by BCIS inspector and the contents verified, their index finger print taken (used in making the green card) and their passports stamped with temporary evidence of LPR status. They will also be asked some basic questions about the sponsor. They become lawful permanent residents from that day. I am sure it will be a pleasant experience for them.

Some airports like San Francisco have a special counter for new immigrants and your parents should use this counter if it is available. Lines at this counter are much shorter.

Also make sure that the visa packages are not opened under any circumstances by anyone except the immigration inspector. They maight be asked to show the packages (it has their US visa attached to the top) at airport check-ins and they SHOULD CARRY IT IN THEIR HAND CARRY BAGGAGE, NOT CHECKED-IN BAGGAGE.

Finally they do not have to fill out I-94 form handed out by the airline staff during the flight, only the customs form need to be filled.

Dilio,
My sister filed an 130 (IR) for our mother from CA center on October '02. I had some questions about the process and how long it took your parents etc. Would it be okay for me to ask you some questions through a private email that you might have?
thank you in advance