What to do if you miss the interview without prior notice?

nakatu

Registered Users (C)
Ok, I have a problem.
I'm pregnant and it seems like I may have baby any day now, on the other hand I have interview in 3 days.
I tried to call the USCIS, but cannot go through their automated system.
It may happen that I will not be able to make it if baby is born in next 3 days. Doctor promised to give me an excuse letter if that happens.
Do you think I may get in trouble because of this?
If I send them Doctor's letter along with requesting new interview date after the original date, will be there any issue? and if they will give me a new date, will it be sometime soon, or I will have to wait another few months?

One of my friends had something similar, on the night before the interview, she slip and fell on her head, she had to be hospitalized. So her husband wrote a letter to the uscis to setup the interview on a later date. It worked out fine for her and she got a new IL in a few weeks.
Cheers!

If you don't contact them they most likely will just think you've abandoned your petition meaning you would have to re-fill out a new N-400 and pay the fees all over again, re-do the FP and wait like you did the first time...

I'm thinking even the USCIS would accept a doctor's note and a snapshot of an infant as an excuse to miss an interview :)

My wife and I were in the same situation last year - when we asked officers what to do, they said "no problem, just write to us (at the DO) and send in your interview letter, we'll reschedule".

If possible, try to keep your appointment. Rescheduling usually costs several months waiting.

BTW, we were lucky - my son was born on the same day I took my oath - thankfully my wife didn't know she was just about to go into labor, or I guess we'd never have driven all the way over there!!

Thank you for the replies, it is calming that in worst case I will at least have a new date. My Interview is tomorrow, and I'm trying not to move much to keep the baby inside for another day :)

Thank you for the replies, it is calming that in worst case I will at least have a new date. My Interview is tomorrow, and I'm trying not to move much to keep the baby inside for another day :)

Hint: avoid alcohol! :D My wife had a couple mouthfuls of beer to celebrate my new citizenship and gave birth just 2 hours later. No sign of labor beforehand, and apparently its an old "remedy" used to stimulate childbirth. Hmmmmm.

I made it!
just came back from the exam...
Well, now I guess I could go and have couple of sips of beer, now we can have the baby!

Thanks everyone once again

Congrats Nakatu, I was waiting for the post (both for the N-400 and even for the baby);) . Let me be among the first to congratulate you. When you have time, do let us know how the interview (and the baby, if arrives earlier) went.

Happy for you. :)

Interview went as simple as could be.
I was called in 10-15 min,
we went through the application, my passport, driver's license and green card. Then I had to read couple of sentences in english, then write one simple sentence, and answer 10 questions from the book. Even though I answered all the questions right, I had to answer all 10 of them (people say that 6 is needed to pass).
Then my husband was called in to swear and sign that he lived and still lives with me, I was given a choice of 13th or 27th of April for oath, I choose 27th (to be on safer side with the baby) and I was let go.
The whole interview process probably took 15 minutes.
If anyone interested in details, let me know..

Interview went as simple as could be.
I was called in 10-15 min,
we went through the application, my passport, driver's license and green card. Then I had to read couple of sentences in english, then write one simple sentence, and answer 10 questions from the book. Even though I answered all the questions right, I had to answer all 10 of them (people say that 6 is needed to pass).
Then my husband was called in to swear and sign that he lived and still lives with me, I was given a choice of 13th or 27th of April for oath, I choose 27th (to be on safer side with the baby) and I was let go.
The whole interview process probably took 15 minutes.
If anyone interested in details, let me know..
Congratulations!!
What is your District Office?
Cheers!

:) :rolleyes: ;) :D :eek:

Congratulations Nakatu! I was cheering for you today!

Best wishes for you and baby and the oath ceremony!!!

Teddybear