What should the cover letter contain, any samples please

clooge

Registered Users (C)
I am loooking for a sample cover letter, with any possible additional information.

Also will the letter have to change if you have dismissed arrest?

clooge said:
I am loooking for a sample cover letter, with any possible additional information.

i did not include a cover letter...lot of people do not c

Unless you have submitted mountains of complex supporting docs, I see no reason to increase USCIS workload by including a cover letter.

clooge said:

Here is a sample cover letter that I used for my application -

To:
The Adjudicating Officer
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services

Sub: N-400 application for naturalization on the basis of 5 years of continuous residence as Lawful Permanent Resident (A#: A xxx-xxx-xxx)

Dear Sir/Madam:

I hereby request you to give favorable consideration to my N-400 application for naturalization.

Given below is the list of enclosures along with this letter:

1. Completed N-400 form
2. Check for $400 toward application fee ($330) and fingerprinting fee ($70)
3. Two recent passport size color photographs of me with my name and A# printed on the back
4. Photo copy of both sides of my “Permanent Resident Card”

Should you have any question, please give me a call at any of the following phone numbers –

Mobile: (xxx) xxx-xxxx
Home: (xxx) xxx-xxxx

Thanks and best regards,

John Doe
A#: A xxx-xxx-xxx
<Home Address>

clooge said:
I wouldn't think so. Only the content of the application and enclosures will change. But the cover letter still stay the same.

Be brief; convey more info in less words; This is my cover letter subject

Re: N-400 (Original Submission) – 5 years, Single, Never Married, No Children, & Selective Service Exempted (letter attached)

Here's a sample I used.

Re: N-400 Application for A# xxx-xxx-xxx (Original Submission)

Sir/Madam,

I wish to apply for citizenship of the United States of America. My A# is xxx-xxx-xxx.

I qualify on the basis of having been a Legal Permanent Resident of the U.S. for the past 5 years. I have met the continuous residence requirement, the physical presence requirement and the time in district requirement. I have gone through the eligibility worksheet published in the Guide to Citizenship and determined that I am eligible to apply. This is the original submission.

I have enclosed the following items:

1) The completed N-400 application
2) A personal check in the amount of $400 towards the application and fingerprinting fee
3) A copy of both sides of my Permanent Resident card
4) Two identical color photographs

Thank you.

Cordially,

N-400 Fees

Hello!

Should the fees be two different checks for 330$ and 70$ respectively? Or can it be made in one check for 400$ ?

Cud someone answer me please?

Thanks!

A cover letter is basically a waste of time and not called for in the N400 instructions. Save your energy - any extra "explaining" can be done during the interview.

Hi All,
Today I mailed my application with priority, certified mail. I included cover letter and arranged all documents as mentioned in cover letter.

<address>

Date: 05/30/2007

Re: N-400 application for naturalization on the basis of 5 years of continuous residence as Lawful Permanent Resident (A#: A xx-xxx-xxx)

To,
The Adjudicating Officer,
U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services,
California Service Center,
P.O. Box 10400,
Laguna Niguel, CA 92607-1040.

Dear Sir/Madam:

Please find enclosed my application for naturalization, which contains the following items in this order:

• Application fees ($330.00) and fingerprint fees ($70.00), totaling $400.00
• Two passport size color photographs
• Completed N-400 form
• A photocopy of both sides of my “Permanent Resident Card”

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Best regards,

I used one check for $400, put my photos in small plastic bag and used paper clip.
I know there are different opinions regarding cover letter and order of documents, but thought there is no harm in having it.

Don't waste your time

I can unequivocally tell you that you don't need one. It's a waste of your time and will be a waste of the IO's time if he/she even reads it. Think about it this way: What exactly can you tell the IO that isn't already there in the app. itself?

The N-400 guidelines are clear - submit the N-400 along with supporting docs. if you have a complex case.

I guess some of us just revel in extraneous stuff. The instructions for filling out the N-400 are on the USCIS website. Nowhere does it say anything about cover letters, whilst it does not hurt, if I were an IO I will give people who submit one a hard time. These are future American Citizens who don't like to follow simple instructions..and that can lead to anarchy.

NO COVER LETTER IS NEEDED. If the IO needs any explanation he/she will ask at the interview.

I just wonder why it is important to tell the IO in a cover letter that you have met all the requirements, duh, you wouldn't have been eligible otherwise.

Enough ranting. NO COVER LETTER needed. Spend your time doing something productive

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the people who receive and check the documentation are not the IOs and these workers don't really care if you have included a cover letter/checklist or not. I didn't include it and never thought I should provide it with my application.