what next

Mirela

Registered Users (C)
Hi. I just checked my status and it says:

On July 15, 2003, we received your response to our request for evidence or information. It is taking between 580 and 610 days for us to process this kind of case. However because preliminary processing was complete, the remaining processing time will be less than the maximum stated in this message. You will receive a written decision on this case.
(applied June 1998; fingerprints March 2003)

Does anyone know how people usually wait after this, assuming everything goes well. I know they say 590-610, but we all know that those numbers don't mean much. Thanks for your help.

Hi. I was pretty surprised when I received the long list of "additional evidence" they wanted. But luckily, I have all of it. Anway, they wanted the following: all original (no copies) RTDs previously used when travelling, along with all original I-94s, a sworn statement explaining where I traveled, why, for how long, and proof (such as airline tickets, hotel reservations, funeral records, etc.). Then, they also wanted proof of one-year physical presence in the U.S. before applying for adjustment in form of employment records and utility bills. And finally, they wanted me to complete the two biographical forms.
I guess it could have been worse, right?
So now I'm wondering how long it will take them to "process." I am just so sick and tired of their meaningless time frames. So if anyone out there has had the same experience, I would appreciate a reply letting me know how long they waited. Many thanks.

Originally posted by Mirela
Hi. I was pretty surprised when I received the long list of "additional evidence" they wanted. But luckily, I have all of it. Anway, they wanted the following: all original (no copies) RTDs previously used when travelling, along with all original I-94s, a sworn statement explaining where I traveled, why, for how long, and proof (such as airline tickets, hotel reservations, funeral records, etc.). Then, they also wanted proof of one-year physical presence in the U.S. before applying for adjustment in form of employment records and utility bills. And finally, they wanted me to complete the two biographical forms.
So now I'm wondering how long it will take them to "process." I am just so sick and tired of their meaningless time frames. So if anyone out there has had the same experience, I would appreciate a reply letting me know how long they waited. Many thanks.
Hi Mirela,
Sorry to hear that they are giving you so much trouble. It is definitely good that you had documentation of everything.

Did you by any chance travle to your native country or the neighboring countries during this period? I am just trying to explain to myself why would they ask for such an extensive list of documents at this stage...and trying to prepare myself should I receive a similar letter. Also, how would one have original RTD/I-94's when these need to be surrendered when a person asks for renewal (RTD's) or enters the country again (I-94) ?
thx for the response and hoping that your case gets approved soon.
B.

I never traveled to my native country but I did travel all over Europe. Honestly, I am not worried about this because INS is full of "you know what" and I wouldn't be surprised if they were just randomly requesting these documents.
As for the I-94s, I never had to give mine at the airport upon my return. Each time they would issue a new one without asking to see the previous one.

I am speechless. First of all I submitted my 2 RTDs each time i renew the darn thing so i would not have been prepared to send them any original copies. I never kept any receipts from my trips abroad since i always shred my documents and receipts for fear of identity theft ( unless i could convince my credit card company to send me old statements.) God!!! what a freaken drag these guys put you through. And to add insult to the injury they tell you that you will wait 600 more days. These bozos are going beyond normal...... Good luck my friend and i am glad you got all what they need....

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi. I just checked my status and it says:

On July 15, 2003, we received your response to our request for evidence or information. It is taking between 580 and 610 days for us to process this kind of case. However because preliminary processing was complete, the remaining processing time will be less than the maximum stated in this message. You will receive a written decision on this case.
(applied June 1998; fingerprints March 2003)

Does anyone know how people usually wait after this, assuming everything goes well. I know they say 590-610, but we all know that those numbers don't mean much. Thanks for your help.

For my family, it took a couple of weeks only to get the approval. Mine took longer, like 40 days. They only asked us for the supplemental form to the medical exam though. So, they didnt have much material to review.
My family never went abroad after I-485 application. I went a couple of times. Dont know if this has something to do with the time it took to get our approvals.
The timeframe posted online is totally meaningless, dont pay any attention to those 590-610 days. The online status is pretty cool, because you can check it everyday and know about your approval before you get in the mail.
On the other hand, dont get discouraged if you dont see any change in the status. You can be greatly surprised and get your approval in the mail before the system is updated. That happened to me.
Another cool thing thing is that you can check the status of other applications filed around your filing date.
Just wait patiently, you have already done what you had to do.
Good luck

Thanks for this info. I'm somewhat relieved to hear that but all it takes is to see how many people simply get approved soon after fingerprints and I'm back at square one, feeling the usual bitterness.
It's amazing to me how many of you on this forum are so upbeat and optimistic. I, on the other hand, have spent years feeling sorry for myself and considering other alternatives because INS treats asylees like second-class citizens barely worthy of their time. I have spent years taking that to heart, crying about it out loud, screaming that it's not worth it; not for me. Although I have learned to accept it now that I have a family, the injustice of it all still hits the nerve, but instead of making me angry, it now only makes me sad. After all, it was a choice. And after all, I can only speak for myself.
My husband, for example, applied for adjustment in January of 1997, had his interview in October of that year and hasn't even had his fingerprints yet. We've tried just about everything there is to do, and every time we are told that everything is fine; that he just has to wait. Why? Who the hell knows why. Perhaps because he decided not to spend thousands on overpriced, greedy lawyers and his application was pushed aside. Perhaps because of his nationality. Perhaps religion. Perhaps simply because he didn't get lucky.
Oh, I can go on and on. But what's the point? It's like Joseph K.'s experience in Kafka's The Trial, this whole INS nightmare. There is just no way to control the situation. Either you surrender or you spend years fighting the enemy you can never defeat.

Thanks for this info. I'm somewhat relieved to hear that but all it takes is to see how many people simply get approved soon after fingerprints and I'm back at square one, feeling the usual bitterness.
It's amazing to me how many of you on this forum are so upbeat and optimistic. I, on the other hand, have spent years feeling sorry for myself and considering other alternatives because INS treats asylees like second-class citizens barely worthy of their time. I have spent years taking that to heart, crying about it out loud, screaming that it's not worth it; not for me. Although I have learned to accept it now that I have a family, the injustice of it all still hits the nerve, but instead of making me angry, it now only makes me sad. After all, it was a choice. And after all, I can only speak for myself.
My husband, for example, applied for adjustment in January of 1997, had his interview in October of that year and hasn't even had his fingerprints yet. We've tried just about everything there is to do, and every time we are told that everything is fine; that he just has to wait. Why? Who the hell knows why. Perhaps because he decided not to spend thousands on overpriced, greedy lawyers and his application was pushed aside. Perhaps because of his nationality. Perhaps religion. Perhaps simply because he didn't get lucky.
Oh, I can go on and on. But what's the point? It's like Joseph K.'s experience in Kafka's The Trial, this whole INS nightmare. There is just no way to control the situation. Either you surrender or you spend years fighting the enemy you can never defeat.

First of all I want to congratulate you on your outstanding ability to write. I am working hard on my writing style and would like to reach your level. Second, I really question whether there are any optimists in this forum. I am just noticing some people who are repressing their anger and would never say a bad word or express frustration about the INS. They also conform and feel guilty about their existence in America; they just do not want to say a single word about their frustration. I have talked a lot about the psychological toll that is happening to many of us. I waited 10 years to get my permanant residency and it does hurt. I said that i felt homeless for many years and that offended many people. People need to speak out the same way you are doing now. They need to stop behaving in ways that deny the heinous discrimination against immigrants in general and asylees in specific. Yes we can take responsibilty for our choice of coming to America instead of going to other countries that welcome refugees; however, we need to work hard to change this sick environment. We need to be assertive and shout and cry so that we can change this sick system. Some of us need to stop taking this self defeating attitude that keeps denying the sickness that is repesented by the INS. This denial invalidates our collective pain and agony. Remember that the majority culture wants passive foreigners who will not speak out but will doggedly follow their masters who let them into their "country." I suggest that you see the movie: gangs of New York . It was released in home video at begining of this month. It will show you the legacy of discrimination against new comers. The Irish were treated like crap and were froced to join the army as soon as they arrived to America. However, they faught back and became politically active until one of them became president one day. We need to fight back. We need to remember that once we become citizens of this country we should not treat new immigrants the way we were treated but i guess this wont happen. I was thinking about changing the inscriptions written on the stautue of Liberty to be more realistic: "Give me your poor and tired and then once they become strong they will lock my doors and will protect me from the other poor and tired"

Last edited by a moderator:
I basically agree with this. These so-called Requests for Further Evidence (RFEs) are abusing asylees. We all have been thru a rigorous process and were found worthy of American compassion. Barring criminal record and the like, our adjustment to LPR status should be simple. No country in the world makes people who suffered so much wait for so long for a sense of normality in their life. This is something the US should learn from the rest of the industrial democracies.

Originally posted by shamshon
First of all I want to congratulate you on your outstanding ability to write. I am working hard on my writing style and would like to reach your level. Second, I really question whether there are any optimists in this forum. I am just noticing some people who are repressing their anger and would never say a bad word or express frustration about the INS. They also conform and feel guilty about their existence in America; they just do not want to say a single word about their frustration. I have talked a lot about the psychological toll that is happening to many of us. I waited 10 years to get my permanant residency and it does hurt. I said that i felt homeless for many years and that offended many people. People need to speak out the same way you are doing now. They need to stop behaving in ways that deny the heinous discrimination against immigrants in general and asylees in specific. Yes we can take responsibilty for our choice of coming to America instead of going to other countries that welcome refugees; however, we need to work hard to change this sick environment. We need to be assertive and shout and cry so that we can change this sick system. Some of us need to stop taking this self defeating attitude that keeps denying the sickness that is repesented by the INS. This denial invalidates our collective pain and agony. Remember that the majority culture wants passive foreigners who will not speak out but will doggedly follow their masters who let them into their "country." I suggest that you see the movie: gangs of New York . It was released in home video at begining of this month. It will show you the legacy of discrimination against new comers. The Irish were treated like crap and were froced to join the army as soon as they arrived to America. However, they faught back and became politically active until one of them became president one day. We need to fight back. We need to remember that once we become citizens of this country we should not treat new immigrants the way we were treated but i guess this wont happen. I was thinking about changing the inscriptions written on the stautue of Liberty to be more realistic: "Give me your poor and tired and then once they become strong they will lock my doors and will protect me from the other poor and tired"