What kind of Questions when returning with RTD

pedrop

Registered Users (C)
I am about to travel for the first time with my RTD.

I wanted to find out if any of you had experience with the type of questions that the officer might ask upon return

Your comments are certaily appreciated.

Thanks,

Pedrop, Just curious, what does it say on the first page under class? today i received mine and it says Permant resident.(I was approved July04). sent application for RTD 04-04

thanks

Returning with RTD

This summer I was traveling for the first time with my RTD and was nervous too.

Upon return to JFK I went to the citizen/residents line. The officers took my passport and told me I have to go to the office. I got worried, thinking I was in some sort of trouble…
“The office” turned out to be a big waiting room with about 100 people already seating and waiting their turn. I had to wait for almost 3 hrs and nearly missed my connecting flight.
When they finally picked up my passport, all they did was to staple it with a new I-94 card and stamped my travel document and the I-94 card with the “asylum approved”.
It took them about a minute to do all that. No questions were asked.
Good luck to you!
:)

same as Peach

except the woman in Atlanta who initially screened me treated me like crap - did not say hello even after I travelled for 15 hours I smiled and said hi, and ordered me to go to the "visitor" line. Then she realized that she screwed up and with POINTING HER FINGER at me - not bothering to say a word, told me to come over, and then told me to go to the same room...so be prepared for the room, and make sure you book a connecting flight with lots of time...good luck!

I think it really depends on the officer and airport...

I came back from Mexico (through LAX) and I took the citizens line. Then a very nice officer told me to go to a special line for Advance Parole, Reentry Permit and Refugees.
The officer just asked me 2 questions about my old addresses and let me go.
He also stamped my RTD saying "Asylum granted",but never gave me a I-94...They never called me to the "room"...Are we supposed to get a new I-94 everytime we return to the country? Does anybody know the answer to this question?
Also, I think that JFK is pretty rough with non-citizens....they need a lot of security there, it's NYC so I advice choose another airport like ATL or LAX to enter, so you won't delay so much checking in.

pedrop said:
I am about to travel for the first time with my RTD.

I wanted to find out if any of you had experience with the type of questions that the officer might ask upon return

Your comments are certaily appreciated.

Thanks,

Pedrop,

I have travelled outside the US two times this year. One was in April and the other time was in July. Both of them landed at the JFK Airport in New York City.

When I returned from Europe this April, the officer asked me how long I have been away. I lined up at the US Passport line. The option are Foreign Passports and US passport. I was required to go to a room for stamping. The wait time was a couple minutes at that room. The officer who took me to the room was very nice and asked me if I know where he was taking me.
I got off the plane very early so I avioded the long line at the immigration check point.

When I returned from Europe this July. I lined up at the US passport line. The experience was a bit different. The line at the immigraion check point was very long. It took me about one hour to just get to the officer counter. The officer also asked me how long I have been away. I was also required to be fingerprinted on both of my index fingers. Then, the officer took me to a room for stamping. The wait time was a couple minutes. Both times, I received a new I-94. I did not surrender my old I-94s when I was leaving the country.

Cchong and others, upong returning from an overseas trip,am i going to the room too with an RTD (permanent resident on it) and I-551 white card ? or it will be a smmoth process like green card holders?

thanks

cider_or said:
Cchong and others, upong returning from an overseas trip,am i going to the room too with an RTD (permanent resident on it) and I-551 white card ? or it will be a smmoth process like green card holders?

thanks

cider_or,

The reason that Asylees are required to go to a special room is becuase of the special stamping. Since you are a permanent resident, I don't think you need to get the "Asylum granted..." stamp. my guess is that you will be treated like other green card holders.

I don't have my green card or permanent resident status yet so I don't know what will actually happen for permanent residents who travel on RTD. Maybe someone on this forum who have the same status as you are can provide you with definate answer.

Last edited by a moderator: