What if 180 days passed and one gets laid off

Nikhil Kapoor

Registered Users (C)
for information sake, what happens if somebody gets laid off after 180 days and if he takes sometime(say 2 months) to get new job or if he doesn\'t get a new job.
I am curious bcos the law says of changing jobs but not of layoffs

Grey Area

The AC21 law is quiet on the issue of layoffs (it was worded prior to Oct. 2000). Depending on your outlook you can take the optimistic view where you can expect to receive favorable treatment from INS because you did not abandon "intent" OR you can take the pessimistic view that your future job is no longer on offer and hence your case is invalid OR you can take a pragmatic view and treat it no differently from a voluntary job change. We are in guinea pig mode and we have no control over what INS does. But what we can do is to work hard to find another job with similar job title and description quickly and not worry too much about INS.

Good luck.

i read on yahoo groups that

If You have past 180 days and you do not get rfe or interview notice
You are home free.

If you get rfe for employment letter and pay stubs then u get 45-50 days to reply to rfe.

But the best solution would be to get a job asap in any part of the country as soon as u get laid off.

one person was laid off after 180 days - when he recd a notice from INS calling him for interview he requested for rescheduling of his interview and got a job asap and then went for interview.

Another opinion i have read is that you can ask the officer conducting interview for 60 days and he does grants it to you.

read my earlier post about the yahoo group where there are more than 700 messages

That group is very active and I have read all the 700 messages - it took me more than 12 hours to go through all of them