what happens once PD becomes current for a pending I-485?

oldpd

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I'm -- besides anxiously waiting for GC -- curious about the inner workings of the black box that is USCIS. The September visa bulletin makes the PD for my pending I-485 current again, after many months. Does someone know what "physically" happens with pending AOS cases whose PDs have become earlier than the retrogression date?

I'm speculating that, if an I-485 AOS takes 6-10 months since filing to process(*), that probably means 6-10 months during which the PD is current -- processing is suspended during the months when PD is after the cut-off date.

My PD is December 2001 (I'm EB3 World, California center), I-485 filed on Dec 2004. I had my fingerprinting in March 2005, which I understand has expired by now. (The "Case Status Online" only says they received my March 2005 fingerprints.)

Also, what do those "service processing times" mean? For California, under I-485, it says "Now processing cases with receipt notice date of" and then February 23 2006. Is this somehow connected to the processing times for I-485s?

Thanks!

----------

(*) I read that somewhere on the Internet. :) Kinda makes sense though, when you think of the after-180-days-since-filing period that makes a pending I-485 portable sounds like "we expected to finish processing in 6 months but something happened and we're too slow, therefore we grant you permission to go and get another job." Sheer speculation of course.

oldpd said:
Hi everyone,

I'm -- besides anxiously waiting for GC -- curious about the inner workings of the black box that is USCIS. The September visa bulletin makes the PD for my pending I-485 current again, after many months. Does someone know what "physically" happens with pending AOS cases whose PDs have become earlier than the retrogression date?

I'm speculating that, if an I-485 AOS takes 6-10 months since filing to process(*), that probably means 6-10 months during which the PD is current -- processing is suspended during the months when PD is after the cut-off date.

My PD is December 2001 (I'm EB3 World, California center), I-485 filed on Dec 2004. I had my fingerprinting in March 2005, which I understand has expired by now. (The "Case Status Online" only says they received my March 2005 fingerprints.)

Also, what do those "service processing times" mean? For California, under I-485, it says "Now processing cases with receipt notice date of" and then February 23 2006. Is this somehow connected to the processing times for I-485s?

Thanks!

----------

(*) I read that somewhere on the Internet. :) Kinda makes sense though, when you think of the after-180-days-since-filing period that makes a pending I-485 portable sounds like "we expected to finish processing in 6 months but something happened and we're too slow, therefore we grant you permission to go and get another job." Sheer speculation of course.

I was current for nearly 3 months before India EB2 went unavailable. The following are my observations during that time.

1. Once your date becomes current USCIS will take all the I-485 that became current (from oct01-mar02) and then they will start processing based on the 485 receipt date. At this stage priority date between oct01-mar02 does not matter. Your name check needs be cleared by the time they take your I-485 file.

2. Your case does not have to be sitting current for 6 months. There were many people who got their 485 approved within first few weeks of becoming current.

3. Your I-485 will be approved but you will be asked to go for FP before getting the cards.

4. Earlier receipt dates would get cleared first. So, 485 receipt date does matter while processing your case. Also, for Name check to get cleared it is better to have more time between I-485 filing and approval date though it is not mandatory. If the available visa numbers are consumed by the time a later receipt is considered, then that case will be considered when visa numbers are made available.

This is what understood from the approved cases, may be UN or someone would know more.

LUD changed 4 times after PD became current on 9/1

oldpd said:
Hi everyone,

Thanks!

----------

Things going very interesting for me too. My PD just became current with PD of Jan 2002( ROW) ...LUD has been changed on 8/23, 8/24,8/29 and again today 9/1 for me and for my wife. I was kinda excited today when I saw LUD but disappointed after seeing the same finger print messages. So the bottom line is LUD never changed since August 05 and suddenly 4 LUD in past 10 days. Could any gurus explain me what's going on

Interesting. I guess you've got no I-485 RFE ?
In my case I am April 2002 and I've got I-485 RFEs, as many others did.

manaka said:
Things going very interesting for me too. My PD just became current with PD of Jan 2002( ROW) ...LUD has been changed on 8/23, 8/24,8/29 and again today 9/1 for me and for my wife. I was kinda excited today when I saw LUD but disappointed after seeing the same finger print messages. So the bottom line is LUD never changed since August 05 and suddenly 4 LUD in past 10 days. Could any gurus explain me what's going on

Thank you indian_ocean. That's a wealth of information.

Two follow-ups:

1. How do you know if your name check has cleared? (I guess if I'm asking that question, it hasn't yet for me... I didn't get any notice of that kind, only the RFE and fingerprinting notices.)

2. How is the "Now processing cases with receipt notice date of" column for I-485 in the Service Center Processing Times page related to I-485 cases with current PDs?

Thanks again!

oldpd said:
Thank you indian_ocean. That's a wealth of information.

Two follow-ups:

1. How do you know if your name check has cleared? (I guess if I'm asking that question, it hasn't yet for me... I didn't get any notice of that kind, only the RFE and fingerprinting notices.)

2. How is the "Now processing cases with receipt notice date of" column for I-485 in the Service Center Processing Times page related to I-485 cases with current PDs?

Thanks again!

1. The usual way is that we(all of those who became current) maintain a tracker that has receipt dates,priority dates, FP dates etc... From the tracker, I would see if anyone has been cleared with priority date and receipt date later than me and if my case is not cleared then I would call USCIS to findout name check status. Do a search on POJ trick in the forums to call USCIS.

2. 'Now processing' in any center gives us the latest I-485 approved receipt date by the center. There is some information in the link below.

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_chaser.html

Unfortuately, this now processing does not tell us whether latest approved is eb1, eb2 or eb3 OR for that matter it is India, China or rest of the world (ROW). However, if your receipt date is earlier than the 'now processing date', you have nothing to worry. If your receipt date is older than the 'Now processing date', remember USCIS can update this 'Now processing date' after approving your case.

manaka

This imply means thy are workng on your case. You mau not have LUD for next couple of days (8-10) and then see approval.
Best of luck.

Manaka, keep us posted

Manaka,

Keep us posted on how your case develops. My priority date became current too (EB3 World), but since my case was transferred to a local office (Miami) I don't see any LUDs in my case. My husband got a fingerprint notice but I think it is due to his fingerprints expired. Almost a year passed since our interview, where the office told us that no visa numbers were available due to retrogression. I do not know what would be next.

Good luck to everyone!
AJVM

I Am Big Time Approved !!!!!!!

AJVM said:
Manaka,

Keep us posted on how your case develops. My priority date became current too (EB3 World), but since my case was transferred to a local office (Miami) I don't see any LUDs in my case. My husband got a fingerprint notice but I think it is due to his fingerprints expired. Almost a year passed since our interview, where the office told us that no visa numbers were available due to retrogression. I do not know what would be next.

Good luck to everyone!
AJVM

Hiya !

Finally, I got approved on day 1 after PD became current on sept 1. I still can't believe myself. My GC Journey is over now. Thanks everyone on this forum who always give more update than USCIS. Pls see my previous posting of Sept 1 .....what a Journey !

Good Luck to all. FYI ! I am EB-3 WORLD, PD Jan 2002

Congratulations!!!!

Hey!!!!

Congratulations!! I must be a relief getting of the GC bus!! It's been a long journey for a lot of us (mine is a 5 yr journey which I hope it ends this month) It is good to hear that cases are moving.

Enjoy your card!!
:p :D :)