What happens if you postpone citizenship interview

I would try really really hard not to postpone your interview unless it's a big time emergency that you have to do this.

Nothing bad will happen...it's just that you'll have to wait for them to reschedule your interview which could take anywhere from a couple of weeks to couple of months later.

I'm sure you've probably waited a long time for the Interview letter to come...best thing is to go through with it and not postpone it. Don't give USCIS a chance to mess up your case and cause you delays to becoming a US Citizen. :)

The problem is that it seems that the USCIS is pretty good at processing applications that stay on the "fast track". If your N-400 goes in, your fingerprints get done on time, and your name check clears, you can get and interview and an oath in a small number of months.

But...

They aren't very good about processing applications that get out of the "everything is working well" pile and into one of the other piles. It's real easy to suddenly end up looking at a 3 or 6 month wait for them to get around to rescheduling something.

As an example, my file didn't arrive at the Dallas district office on time for my interview. So, a little less than a month before the interview they sent me a descheduling notice. My file did finally make it to the DO about right around when my interview would have happened.

In the end, my interview did happen, but 4.5 months later. If I hadn't got my senator involved, I don't know how long it would have taken.

The moral of the story... Don't give them an excuse to take you of the fast track.

In your other post you say papers are not ready. I don't know what papers you mean but you don't have to bring your whole life history in documents to the interview. Check your interview letter to see what has been asked to be brought to the office.
The tax docs and other stuff mentioned on these forums is overkill and meant for those people who have been out of the country longer than 1 yr, it says so right in the list of docs to bring for interview.
Don't postpone your IV just for this simple reason. If you have the basic docs they demand then just go. You can mail anything you don't have later to the officer, at least your case will have been assigned to someone who can move things.