what Gc means for a single guy....:(

Rahul_need_help

Registered Users (C)
Hi Friends,

I need some help/guidance from you....

I have given my FP y'day after delaying it for 84 days..My original Fp was suppose to be in May but I delayed it to buy more time so that I can look for a girl..I went to india in May but it didnt work out for me.. Now since I have already given my Fp y'day as I dindt have a choice I am planning to fly to india in sept 1st week to c if i am lucky enough...i dont even know how much time i have....My WAc is 02-77 series & i guess 02-49 has started...

What I wanted to know from this group was...about 'Follow to join" My lawyer says that if I get married before my 485 is approved then I can request INS to include her thru Folllow to join... This is confusing as I have heard people in this forum saying that one has to file for Follow to join after u get your 485 approved.. can someboy help me on this........

Also how much time does follow to join take as i am from delhi consulate...

Any other ideas if anybody has to delay my Gc at this stage or to get the would be bride from India if i get my 485 apprived before i marry...

PLS HELP friends........:(.......need help/clarification

Last edited by a moderator:
can you change it to cp.
If so, do that. Then go to India for CP.
Go alone for interview and get GC.
Then stay in India, look for a bride. Then marry and go to consulate and she can do follow-to-join.

Ofcourse, first change it to CP.
Then, don't come to US before marriage.
--

Based on my experience and my lawyer's suggestion

You cannot use 'follow-to-join' if you get married after your green card approval(be it I-485 approval date or CP succesfull interview date).

Also

>What I wanted to know from this group was...about 'Follow to
>join" My lawyer says that if I get married before my 485 is
>approved then I can request INS to include her thru Folllow to
>join... This is confusing as I have heard people in this forum
>saying that one has to file for Follow to join after u get your 485
>approved.. can someboy help me on this........

Its true, you need to get married *before* your I-485 is approved and you need to apply for 'follow-to-join' *after* your I-485 is approved.

Event/time line is like this

1. Applied for I-485 (or any stage before, in which case, you can bring her thro H-4 which is very easy)
2. Get Married
3. I-485 gets approved
4. Apply for I-824
5. I am guessing you dont have to wait for I-824 in Delhi, so request a 'follow-to-join' for your spouse (by sending various papers that they require)
6. She will get her Packet 3, interview etc....

This is what I am doing right now, but mine is from Chennai and I am not sure yet, if they will start follow-to-join for my wife before I-824 is approved. I will come to know soon and I will post it.

does anybody has a similar exp

I was wondering if there is anybody in this forum who got his GC (485 approved) and was later able to bring his wife on H1/F1 or by some other means...could u share your experiences...

Is there any other alternative...? as my 485 should be coming soon.

Secondly I was wondering incase of 'Follow to join" I understand that its to be filed after 485 approval but lets say if I get married even 3 days earlier to 485 approval will INS accept my case in 'Follow to join" .......

Does anybody know ?????:(

I am in the follow to join category as well. I applied for an I-824, and am awaiting approval. My case will go through the Mumbai consulate.

Here is wht my lawyer had said when I was in my I-485 stages: as long as you were married before the I-485 was appproved (NOT before the passport was stamped, or the green card issued, etc.), just as long as that was true, irrespective of how long before the approval you got married, you are eligible for the follow-to-join procedure.

So, once you are married, as long as it is before your I-485 is approved, you sit back and wait till it does get approved, and then file form I-824 to start the follow-to-join procedure. The I-824 is for "action on an approved petition", so I am not sure if you can file it before your I-485 is approved.

tooOldtoWait: I would be looking forward to your post on your experiences with the Chennai consulate. I want to do the same thing, ie., file for the immigrant visa for my wife just based on the I-824 receipt and not wait for the I-824 approval.

CarGuy

Other visa type

Hi,

I have heard there is a new visa type that can be used
to get wife from India even if the GC is approved.

Let me find out what is the type. Anybody else heard the same.

If you are doing CP: after the interview, as far as you do not enter the US, you can get married and take your wife back to the embassy and they will give her an appointment for 2 months later. Then you can enter US and your wife 2 months later after the interview.
This is not applicable for 485 at all.
I confirmed the above with the consular.

As for the new visa: it was V visa, which is only applicable if you got married before 2000.

too CARGUY and others waiting for follow-to-join

Its too early, but I sent the following documents to chennai consulate, after a month(of sending it) I sent an e-mail to chennai consulate asking if they got my documents and if they are all ok.

Documents sent:

Approval Notice (Form I-797) (Approval notice of I-485)
Entire Passport pages
Temporary Stamp of I-551 as proof of Green Card.
Marriage Certificate
Applicant's Birth Certificate
Local address.

At first they told me they didnt get it, then they later e-mailed back to me saying that they got it and they will send packet#3 to my local address after checking the LPR status from INS. I am *assuming* that they have opened a case. I will come to know that only after getting packet#3.

So my suggestion is dont wait for I-824 at all. Send the above papers and hope that they will start the process.

I will keep you all posted as and when I come to know anything.

Good luck to you all

help

Hi Carguy,toolold to wait..

i was wondering is it posible that now i change my case to CP...I have just done my FP a week back...some people have suggested that so i wanted to confirm..

if its possible then i can go to delhi get married & later come back with my wife...

pls advise as my 485 was filed in dec end.....my wac is 02-77

If yes then waht is the process ??

pls advise

Hi guys,

Did anybody did FTJ (follow to join) in delhi consulate....Pls share your expereince..

Secondly my lawyer is saying that I have to file for FTJ before 485 gets approved....i dont understand as a lot of people say that it has to be done later...

can anybody help on this.........

Thanks a ton !!!

to Rahul

I dont know how to change from AOS to CP, but I know that if you change to CP, then your I-485 would be automatically cancelled and CP will start.

Actually I was in a kinda your situation at somepoint and I do understand your problem. I am guessing that you still have a few months for your approval through AOS. I think you should concentrate on finding your spouse right away. I believe that finding the right person is more important than job or GC. So dont waste any time, take some time off and work on that.

Talk to your lawyer and find out how to delay your I-485.

About filing for 'follow-to-join' I am pretty sure that you have to do it only after I-485 approval and not before that. If your lawyer says that you have to file FTJ before 485 approval, then he is wrong.

Look at the following link for details about FTJ

http://www.ins.gov/graphics/howdoi/Appproc.htm#Following

Beyond that I dont have any other suggestion, sorry dude. Wish I knew more.