What does '5 years back' mean exactly?

Inna45

I know I must submit tax transcripts for the past 5 years and to list all my trips abroad within the 5 years, but how do I calculate that time?

As far as trips go, how is that calculated? Do they pay attention to the exact date? Is that period starting from June 23, 2016 to date or is it counted from the date I file N-400? Let's say I file N-400 on July 4, 2021. Does that mean that I have to show evidence for trips that I had between July 4, 2016 to July 4, 2021?

An even more concerning issue for me is how to calculate 5 years back as far as taxes are concerned. If going back 5 years means up to 2016, then the IRS website does not provide me with copies of transcripts from 2016, but only until 2017.

The easiest way to do the 5 years back calculation for trips (and addresses, etc) is to file your N400 online, and the system will automatically calculate the dates you need to supply info for.

It seems most IOs don’t actually ask for tax transcripts, but I just took one of the other IRS options that did go back further to my interview and the IO was happy with those.

the system will automatically calculate the dates you need to supply info for.

I need to check again and look for such a prompt. I did not come across a clear announcement about the documents I need to submit.

I filled out the entire N-400 online, and was only asked for two documents: my green card and my divorce certificate. I uploaded these, and when I clicked submit, the system asked me 'are you sure you want to proceed? You should upload more documents.' However, there was no list of specific documents, which has me totally puzzled.

I need to check again and look for such a prompt. I did not come across a clear announcement about the documents I need to submit.

I filled out the entire N-400 online, and was only asked for two documents: my green card and my divorce certificate. I uploaded these, and when I clicked submit, the system asked me 'are you sure you want to proceed? You should upload more documents.' However, there was no list of specific documents, which has me totally puzzled.
So this is a different question now, you were originally asking about listing trips. That is part of the information you enter into the form itself, you don’t upload anything for that so there is no “prompt” for that.

Cant answer about what else you might need to upload for your specific case, I just uploaded what I was asked and that was sufficient. (In my recollection it was just my GC, marriage certificate and kids’ birth certificates.) You did upload both front and back of your GC, right?

So this is a different question now, you were originally asking about listing trips. That is part of the information you enter into the form itself, you don’t upload anything for that so there is no “prompt” for that.

Cant answer about what else you might need to upload for your specific case, I just uploaded what I was asked and that was sufficient. (In my recollection it was just my GC, marriage certificate and kids’ birth certificates.) You did upload both front and back of your GC, right?

Yes, it is a different question. I am trying to figure out what documents I need to submit and for what timespan. I did scan and upload both sides of the green card.

Did you not submit any paystubs nor bank statements or tax returns for the online N-400? I am quite lost about what I need to submit to be frank. The N-400 explanation document is vague. I am really puzzled that most people say that the system prompts you what to submit; yet in my case, the system acts like an enigma.

Yes, it is a different question. I am trying to figure out what documents I need to submit and for what timespan. I did scan and upload both sides of the green card.

Did you not submit any paystubs nor bank statements or tax returns for the online N-400? I am quite lost about what I need to submit to be frank. The N-400 explanation document is vague. I am really puzzled that most people say that the system prompts you what to submit; yet in my case, the system acts like an enigma.
It does, and it has. You are confused because you are overthinking this! You are saying it doesn’t work because it’s not telling you to submit anything else, but there is nothing else you need to submit with it. It’s working perfectly. My unmarried daughter (who has done the entire process successfully) only had to upload her green card. You can bring passports, tax documents and whatever else your interview letter lists for you, to the actual interview. As for paystubs or bank statements, why do you think these have anything at all to do with n400? There is no naturalization requirement to have a job or a certain level of savings or whatever you want to prove with these documents.

It does, and it has. You are confused because you are overthinking this! You are saying it doesn’t work because it’s not telling you to submit anything else, but there is nothing else you need to submit with it. It’s working perfectly. My unmarried daughter (who has done the entire process successfully) only had to upload her green card. You can bring passports, tax documents and whatever else your interview letter lists for you, to the actual interview. As for paystubs or bank statements, why do you think these have anything at all to do with n400? There is no naturalization requirement to have a job or a certain level of savings or whatever you want to prove with these documents.
Thank you for replying to me even though I totally changed the direction of the conversation.

I am saying that the system does not work properly for me because after I uploaded the two documents it asked for -- the green card (scanned both sides), the divorce certificate -- I clicked next (or submit), and then the system asked me, "Are you sure you do not want to submit more documents? You should submit more documents." Yet, there was no list of documents I need to submit. This is why I am totally lost. Everyone says that the system automatically asks for documents, yet that is not the case for me.

Since I am so lost, I started brainstorming what I could submit. I was thinking of gathering bank statements for the past 5 years as well as pay stubs and rent stubs because that is what I saw on one forum as papers that have to be presented. That post was super old, from 2005, so I know it is not current information, but I have no better ideas about what to prepare. I even thought that I need to scan and upload all bank statements, paycheck and rent stubs for the past 5 years to submit them now with the application. Yet, I suspect I am overdoing it.

Thank you for replying to me even though I totally changed the direction of the conversation.

I am saying that the system does not work properly for me because after I uploaded the two documents it asked for -- the green card (scanned both sides), the divorce certificate -- I clicked next (or submit), and then the system asked me, "Are you sure you do not want to submit more documents? You should submit more documents." Yet, there was no list of documents I need to submit. This is why I am totally lost. Everyone says that the system automatically asks for documents, yet that is not the case for me.

Since I am so lost, I started brainstorming what I could submit. I was thinking of gathering bank statements for the past 5 years as well as pay stubs and rent stubs because that is what I saw on one forum as papers that have to be presented. That post was super old, from 2005, so I know it is not current information, but I have no better ideas about what to prepare. I even thought that I need to scan and upload all bank statements, paycheck and rent stubs for the past 5 years to submit them now with the application. Yet, I suspect I am overdoing it.
If it’s not asking you specifically for anything else don’t submit anything else. I can’t remember exact details but my recollection is that it asks to check in case there is something you think you should submit for your particular case. It’s clearly working to individual responses if it asked you for a divorce certificate, right? So just say yes I’m sure and submit … you seem to be running around in circles because you’re looking for something that just isn’t there.

If it’s not asking you specifically for anything else don’t submit anything else. I can’t remember exact details but my recollection is that it asks to check in case there is something you think you should submit for your particular case. It’s clearly working to individual responses if it asked you for a divorce certificate, right? So just say yes I’m sure and submit … you seem to be running around in circles because you’re looking for something that just isn’t there.
I just reviewed the entire application again. At the end, it asks me for two specific documents--the green card and the divorce certificate--which I have attached. And then there is Additional Documents option. When I click "next" meaning that I skip submitting additional documents, the message says that I 'should' provide more additional evidence but there is nothing specific. So this 'should' worries and puzzles me.

I went through the I-400 Instruction form, and it lists to bring state ID for the interview, so I am thinking of uploading them. Another thing that they list for the interview is tax returns for the past 5 years, and any other evidence showing that I have not abandoned my place of residence for the past 5 years. I can attach the IRS tax records (but I am not sure if they are federal or state from the IRS). I am attaching a screen shot.

Thank you again for your attention and support!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.59.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-24 at 11.59.36 AM.png
    94 KB · Views: 4
Look, I’ve already given you my advice based on the experience of someone who along with spouse and daughter have all successfully navigated this, but if you want to go ahead and upload documents you don’t need to by all means do so. But I’m personally not spending time to advise you on which unnecessary documents to upload.