what do you do; if you want to vote?

The easiest way is to do it online
http://www.rockthevote.com

I did it like that, printed out the form and got my voter registration card with precinct ect mailed to me within a week or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the place where you get your drivers lisence. For KS it is for some reason not called the DMV and when I went to there after I got my citizenship to change my status they told me I can register there

In Calif, the voter regist forms are placed at libraries, DMV offices etc. We got our form at the oath ceremony itself. We decided to fill it and mail it instead of using the drop box kept at the oath site. The forms are also available online, check your states official website.

It is stupidity to correlate voter reg with jury duty. The jury invites are drawn from several pools including DMV records. So people should wake up and see that voting and jury duty are marks of developed societies.

Perhaps some people here are too ashamed to vote and will let other people do the decisions for them? So people who are afraid to reg to vote should also give up their DLs and stop driving.

Yes, it is a recurring thing that whenever someone is asking about voter registration there has to be someone that wants to make a connection to jury duty, with the suggestion that jury duty is something bad that has to be avoided. Anyway, aabbcc11 is right. They draw their jury candidates from several sources, and the possibility of being called for jury duty should not deter someone from registering to vote and exercise that basic right of democracy. For whatever is worth I registered to vote on the day of my ceremony, and so far I haven't received any requests to serve in a jury. Anyway, jury duty is part of citizenship in this country.

Yes, it is a recurring thing that whenever someone is asking about voter registration there has to be someone that wants to make a connection to jury duty, with the suggestion that jury duty is something bad that has to be avoided. Anyway, aabbcc11 is right. They draw their jury candidates from several sources, and the possibility of being called for jury duty should not deter someone from registering to vote and exercise that basic right of democracy. For whatever is worth I registered to vote on the day of my ceremony, and so far I haven't received any requests to serve in a jury. Anyway, jury duty is part of citizenship in this country.

I think the main point is that Jury Duty is part of our citizenship duties/rights. I personally look forward to jury duty - I haven't been called yet but will not grumble if I am. Its another way to give back to my country.

It is stupidity to correlate voter reg with jury duty. The jury invites are drawn from several pools including DMV records. So people should wake up and see that voting and jury duty are marks of developed societies.

Perhaps some people here are too ashamed to vote and will let other people do the decisions for them? So people who are afraid to reg to vote should also give up their DLs and stop driving.

Actually I had 2 summons this year a month apart from each other. I inquired about the second on as I wasn't called the first time and stated I was done for the year. It turned out my voters reg name was different then my drivers licence (I shortformed my first name on the Voter card). So because of this I was in the system twice and was told what happend was one was pulled from the DMV (3rd time in 10 years) and the other was from my Voters Reg which happend almost a year after being a citizen.

Luckily they could dismiss the Voter one and told me to go down and change my name to match exactly as my drivers licence.

So I just got lucky that both decided to pick me ironically at around the same time. So it's about 50/50 where you get it from, but of course the more pools your in, the most chances are your name will be called upon...

Drivers License, Social Security, Voters Reg - variety of sources are used to pick jury duty invitations. So, you need to atleast stop driving a car, if you want to skip it :)

Just relax, and respond appropriately if and when you get it.