Weird experience for Interim EAD in Newark..

turumkan

Registered Users (C)
Dear All,

Went there at 5.30 am(very very cold wind outside)
endured 2.5 hours
Went in the building at 8.15 am.
went to room 200.
After checkup, went to room 1300 at 9.15
waited waited waited.. then abt 11.30 am, I was asked to go to window no.6
Checked all the documents. Then I was asked to go to the photo area.
(Big sigh of relief from me.. may be too early)

Anyway, while waiting for photo, another officer called my name
and said that he cannot issue EAD since 485 is on hold !!!!

I was shocked. I told him that I had checked that morning and the status is the same as it was ever before(appln. recd. blah blah blah)..

He did not accept. he said in system there is a hold.
I asked what is the reason for hold and he did not explain.
He asked me to contact service center..

Hmmm...I came back and called National service center number.
The lady sweetly said that she does not have details in the system and asked me to send a mail to vermont service center !!!
She mentioned that giving interim EAD is at the discretion of the local service center..

I filed for 140 in july-2003 and filed 485 in nov2003.
Filed for EAD on jan 1st !!

Any help..

I have H1B approval till march 2006. I have stamping till june 2004. I have I94 till june 2004(I went to India and came back. the latest I94 at port of entry reflects the visa stamping date.)
I should have got visa stamped in India based on the H1 date of june 2004.. Anyway, can I go to canada for H1 stamping..

Regards,

Why canada when you can revalidate visa in StLouis

Hello Turumkan,
If H-1 stamping is your concern, it can be done by mail in the USA.

sda21

well well..

The latest I94 from the port of entry has validity only upto jun-2004. I have to apply for extension of I94 first(which takes abt 6 months) then apply for visarevalidation!!!!

I am fine with that.. but the issue is that my driver license is gone by jun-2004 since they issue DL only till date of visa stamping..

Any ideas please

Regards,

Hi Turumkan:

I was like you my DL was expiring and I have filed my H1 extension, I didn't have the H1 extension receipt also, So I talked to my office and got the original H1 receipt and took it to the local BMV and they have extended my DL.

This was my experience....Just a FYI.....

Thanks,
Vic-Suzuki

I totally sympathize with you turumkan!
Its totally inhuman to stand in on a cold windy morning, on to of that it still takes hours and hours of wait inside the building to get a EAD. Even worse in your case, at the last moment they decide there is some problem with I485 so they cant issue it!!!

I applied for my EAD on Oct 06, 2003. Still waiting for it to come through. I called up VSC, they opend a query for me and advised m to go to the Newark, NJ for iEAD. But after reading you experience about the same, i have decided not to go there for now. Not untill warmer weather comes by, at least.

update..good news.. 140 cleared..

Hi All,

one good news.. I checked the status of 140 and it says that the case is approved !!!!

RD : 18-JUL-2003
LAB SUB - EB3..
AD : 06-APR-2004

What a relief.. I just need to confirm with my employer that he gave me the right receipt number. He did not give me the copy of receipt .. Mostly he wud have given the correct number.. Just in case..

Now, abt the cold weather thing at newark office for EAD , it was cold just for that day. mainly because of the wind. the wind chill made it worse..For example, today is a better day.

adyav:
also, your Ead is overdue as per processing times also(nov10th 2003 for EB3 right). Hence, I think you can go. At the max, you would have spent a few hours.. nothing else to loose !!

Also, I checked the message for the search term "interim ead hold". Hmmmm.. Found that my experience was not weird afterall.
Many people have gone thru this..

The main idea seems to be that in case of concurrent filing, they want to do a preliminary check on the 140. till then a "hold" is placed in the system !! Now, this is not a RFE.. just a hold..
It is upto the local office person to decide on the interim EAD..

At least the I40 worry is over (at least I hope it is..)

I might go back in 2 weeks for interim EAD.. Since 140 is approved this shud be fine..

Regards,