Wedding date of Spouses Ex wife?

kay05

Registered Users (C)
Can someone please tell me if this will cause a problem with my interview, question on N400 form asks for spouse's info regarding past marriages, will it be a problem if the date given on form is a estimate and not the exact date and also if the month/year is given and not month/day/year as requested. Thing is my husband's been married twice and he cannot remember the dates(dont really want him to have that memory but for this purpose-N400):D
So do you think this will be a problem, i am already scheduled for my interview (next yr)

Thanks in advance for your input!

I don't have an answer for your question. However, I might have an idea of why this might be relevant. It might be relevant in case of bigamy, or of people who got visas as unmarried sons or daughters, when they were actually married. The government might use this information to ask their embassies or consulates abroad to obtain information about those previous marriages. All said I don't have any idea if this is done regularly. Couple of thoughts:
1. If everything is legit about those marriages, it is possible to get away by just putting year and month, but be prepared to furnish actual dates during the interview if the officer asks for this. The officer might also ask for copies of the marriage certificates at the interview if they want to. In particular if this has never been provided before as part of some other immigration benefit (like the Green Card) It all depends on the officer.
2. If the dates given are grossly inaccurate, and intended to hide some prior immigration missteps then all bets are off. It is possible that they don't look further into it, but it is anybody's guess, and I wouldn't suggest anybody to try this.

If USCIS already has accurate information about these prior marriages (your husband submitted copies of marriage certificates during Green Card or other filing) I think putting year/month should be fairly safe as they can always go back to the record to verify exact dates. Anyway, best advice is to fill out the N-400 as completely and accurately as possible, mistakes can always be made, we are all human.

Have him ask family and friends who were at the weddings. At least one person should know. It may also be possible to obtain the information from the jurisdictions where the marriages took place (although this may be impractical if they were in a foreign country).

You mentioned that your husband's been married twice. It seems that you mean he was married twice before you? If that is the case, make sure you answer 3 for the question where they ask how many times your spouse has been married, because they want you to include the current marriage in the count. If you answered 2 on the application, you can correct it at the interview.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the input!! I did answer three times married including myself on the application form. My interview is scheduled for next year. I really do not want to be delayed because of missing info so I will call the clerk of courts and see what doc I can get to confirm the wedding dates. Thanks again