We do NOT EADs

No Title

Very good Gilbert!! I said in previous discussions that as long as we meet one the requisites in Form I-9 (one of List A OR one of List B and one of List C)we shouldn\'t have any problem. It\'s a relief now to know that there is an official announcement from INS.

No Title

Yes, I understand from the instructions on the back of the I-9 form that we don\'t need to show EAD to the employer for employment eligibility verification. But is it safe to say that Asylees are no longer required to renew their EADs for employment or for any other reason.

BTW, the IIOs at NSC helpline are still saying "Yes, Asylees need to renew their EAD." If you have the patience please call 1-800-375-5283 and ask the IIO "I\'m an asylee, Do I need to renew my EAD every year when it expires?"
  I want the INS to make a firm statement like Asylees are no longer required to obtain or renew EAD for employment purpose or any other INS related matters.

Newbie Asylee - Needs Clarification on EAD?

I am a new asylee. I was asked to apply for an EAD on my asylum approval letter, but now I read that EAD is not required. Is that true? Or is it that I must apply for the initial EAD, and then not renew annually? Please help. What do I show prospective employers that I am authorized to work, if I don\'t have an EAD? I do have a SS Card with no restrictions (by virtue of my H1-B1), a DL, etc. Please help, ok? Sorry if I seem so confused ....

EAD NOT REQUIRED

Dance00:
Here\'s the bottom line about your EAD question: In their approval letter the INS requires that Asylees apply for EAD\'s. Their policy is based on a misinterpretation of Section 208 of the Immigration and Nationality Act. More specifically Sec. 208(c)(1)(B) Employment authorization is incident to the Asylee status and need not subsequently be granted by the attorney general( meaning INS)
The American Immigration Law Foundation (AILF) is currently suing the Attorney General on that very issue. The lawsuit seeks to force the INS to amend its regulations (i.e. 8 CFR 208.7)to reflect a more accurate interpretation of the statute cited above. Furthermore, in 2001 the office for refugee resettlement as well as the Social Security Administration which are part of the Health and Human Services Department(HHS) issued the following memo:
SOCIAL SECURITY

Asylees and Refugees

Are All Asylees Authorized to Work?

Yes. All individuals granted asylum are authorized to work based on that status. An asylee does not need to show an employment authorization document as proof of employment authorization when applying for an SSN card. However, some asylees may have those documents and provide them as evidence supporting their SSN card application.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) now considers aliens granted asylum to have permanent employment authorization and requests that we treat them as permanent resident aliens. This means that when an individual granted asylum submits appropriate documentation with an SS-5, we will issue an unrestricted SSN card.

Like refugees, asylees are eligible for assistance and services from the Office of Refugee Resettlement for a limited period of time starting with the date asylum is granted. Because asylees need to be enrolled in certain programs within 31 days of the date they are granted asylum, it is important that SSA assign them SSNs and issue their SSN cards quickly.

The Executive Office for Immigration Review (EOIR), a separate office from INS, also processes requests for asylum and may grant asylum.

NOTE: This does not apply to an individual who has applied for asylum or who has been recommended for asylum.

What Document Does an Asylee Need to Show to Get an SSN Card?

When an asylee applies for an original or replacement SSN card, accept as proof of alien status any of the following:

An I-94 with a stamp showing the individual is granted asylum under section 208 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). NOTE: Some I-94s issued to asylees are stamped or annotated "EMPLOYMENT AUTHORIZED," and some are not. An individual who has been granted asylum does not need an annotation on the I-94 or an employment authorization document to be issued an SSN card for work purposes.

An employment authorization document (either Form I-688B showing "274A.12(a)(5)" on the face of the card under Provision of Law or Form I-766 showing "A5" on the face of the card under Category); or

An order of an Immigration Judge granting asylum under the INA. The document must be the original decision (not a copy) printed on paper stock bearing the letterhead "United States Department of Justice, Executive Office for Immigration Review, Immigration Court" and show the city where the immigration court is located.

Bottom line, an unrestricted Social Security Card is sufficient for employment purposes---Hope this is helpful.

Thanks, noid for that comprehensive (boy!) answer

Thank you, noid. That must be one of the most comprehensive posts yet I have seen on the issue of EAD, and asylees. I actually already have an "restricted" SS card. Did the INS issue an "unrestrictied" one to my by mistake? I was only an H1-B1 before, and I got that "unrestricted" SS card. Was I entitled to one then? Now that I am an asylee, I sure am entitled to me, and that together with my DL should entitle me to seek employment anywhere? Do you have the URLs where I may download of the Office of Refugee Settlement, and SSN memo?

No Title

Good sign! Maybe things are finally changing for us!! Maybe(gasp) the GC card cap will follow EAD into the darbage can!!!