Waiver approved! (Timeline)

slice

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

Got my final approval from INS today. It took me more time than usual, but that was due to my laziness more than anything else.

1. Sent notarized NORI application forms, passport, fees etc to Chicago consulate - Oct 28, 2001

2. Got them back from Chicago attested - Nov 14, 2001

3. Hunt for NORIs started in India. It took me 6 months to get them all, but I am sure it can be done faster. Basically I didnt have anyone in India to pursue matters aggresively.

4. Applied for case number from DoS - May 5, 2002 (You should really do this while gathering NORIs from India)

5. Got Case number from DoS - June 10, 2002

6. Sent Case number, NORIs etc to Chicago consulate - Jun 15, 2002

7. Sent Application, fees, copies of J1 visa to DoS - Jun 17, 2002

8. Indian Embassy sends Waiver Certificate to DoS - Jun 27, 2002

9. DoS send waiver approval notice to INS (Nebraska) and me - Aug 9, 2002

10. Got final approval from Nebraska - Aug 23, 2002

My J1 visa expires on May 17 next year. I do have an employer willing to process my H1B but I am still looking for greener pastures. How long would you say I should keep job searching before I give up and start processing my H1B with this employer?

I would like to thank everyone who helped me through this process. Jigesh and others.. you are doing an awesome job here. God bless you!

Thanks again,
Rajesh

Congratulations.....

Congratulations Rajesh - enjoy your freedom (and start thinking about H-1B, GC, etc...)!!

Thank you for posting a detailed timeline as a valuable reference for other fellow HRR-prisioners. I hope you will continue periodically visiting this forum and guiding others.

As for the job hunt, all depends upon how hot your area of expertise still is. Fortunately, you have enough time and hopefully things should start looking better by then. If you are very active in job search (visiting companies/getting interviewed etc.), it should take you 3 to 4 months before you might receive another actual offer - these days employers like to wait a bit more before making an offer unless you target defense related industry. Meanwhile, make sure that your current prospective H-1B sponsor still stays with you.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Dear Slice,

Can one apply for No objection waiver when you have still 1.5 years of status left on the IAP ? Can you apply that early ?

Thanks

Yes.

Yes, you can. Alternatively, first be prepared with all required documents from your home country and then apply - some time might have passed by then.

Best wishes,

Jigesh

Disclaimer: Personal non-legal point of view only.

yup..

Jigesh is right. That was what I did. I got the NORIs and then applied for an extension of my J1 visa. And then started the DoS processing.

Regards,
Rajesh