Waiting for passport stamping at Arlington, VA

My 485 was approved on 05/09/02 (RD 07/05/01). I went for passport stamping at INS Arlington on 05/21/02. They collected my original notice of action, photographs, I-94, fingerprinted me and send me back with a photo-copied notice of action with "COMPLETED" stamped on it. They said that I should be getting a call for PP stamping within 3-4 weeks. It is over one month now and I have not heard from them.

Anyone in the same boat as me? Am I a "permanant resident" or not? My EAD expires on 08/23/02. Do I need to apply for a new one (originally I was on H-4) to work after 08/23/02? How can I travel out of country without a stamped passport and without I-94?

I went to arlington office on 21st June, I got my stamping on the same day. I think you can directly go to the arlington office again with out any waiting for your stamping.

Stamping

We were asked to come back when we went on the 23rd of May. However, we went again on the 19th of June without having received any notice and they stamped our passports. You should do the same and go as soon as possible to stamp the passport. I don\'t think you will have any problem this time.

Thanks skus, Ram Mohoni

I went to INS, Alexandria, VA and got my passport stamped today. There was no problem. Reched there at 5:30 am and was out by 9:00 am.

Thanks.

I will be going to the SSN office next week. I do feel relieved, but would have felt better if the job situation in my area (DC area) had been better. Worldcom scam has hit this area bad and everyone is gloomy (I am not with worldcom thankfully).

about alexandria office

Hi,
My approval notice says I can go to INS office in arlington m-f ....

I wonder if I can also go to Alexandria office. Is this the one where we give finger prints or is there some other address in Arlington.

Also, do I need to carry any documents other than EAD, photos
and approval notice copy and original?

Thanks,
Archana

Stamping

I have not heard of anyone who has got their passports stamped at Alexandria. That office is only a support office for fingerprinting.
You need to go to Arlington for the stamping. All the documents that you need to take will be mentioned on the approval notice. Take your EAD, AP also when you go for stamping with the two photographs.

Got passport stamped, more questions

Hi all,
My 485 was approved last month and I got my passport statmped today. However, the officer who stamped my passport did not take my EAD or I-94. I don't have an AP. I asked the officer whether she needs to take my EAD or not and she said "keep it and mail it in when it expires". I am at a loss. Everyone I know surrendered their EAD, AP
and I-94 when they went for passport stamping. Does anyone what I should do now?

Someone I know told me that not returning EAD and I-94 is a bad thing and I might have trouble coming back into the country (whenever I leave) b'coz INS has a check list of all the things I returned and I obviously didn't return EAD and I-94. Is that true?

Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Arch

I-94

It is strange that they did not take the I-94. The EAD is not an issue. But they should have taken the I-94. You could talk to your lawyer about this as it is an important document.

Thanks Ram. I just heard from someone else who went for stamping at another INS office and they didn't take her EAD and AP either. I don't know about I-94. I will check with my lawyer.

Thanks again.

Btw, I called the INS customer service number and was on hold for 25 minutes. The lady who answered my call told me that I need my EAD card with me b'coz even though my GC has been approved, I don't have the original card and if INS needs my EAD, they will send me a notification. WEIRD.