Waiting for my SSN..since Oct 01st..2010

sansingh914

Hello,

I applied for my SSN on Oct 01st 2010 under H1B status..Lady at counter told me in 2 weeks,I should get my Number however letter said 4 weeks.But my issue is I haven't received it yet and every time I call SSN office they say they are waiting approval from INS.

Can you plz guide me,why INS is taking so long???Is it normal or I am the only one who has to wait this long?Also is there any department or office I should approach to get to know the status..Coz SSN office just says call after 2 weeks.

Thanks
Sandeep Singh

Call them and ask whether the number has been assigned to you already. It takes them a while to actually print and mail the card, but once the number has been assigned - they'll give it to you (you'll have to go there in person to get it, over the phone they'll only tell you if it was assigned or not). That may shorten the wait a bit.

If the number hasn't yet been assigned, then you're in the limbo. Usually it's a good practice to wait at least a couple of weeks after getting the H1 stamp on your I-94, before applying for the SSN, specifically to avoid this mess. They're verifying your status manually. Manually as in snail mail. You can imagine yourself how long the manual paperwork can take. You'll have to be patient and nag them once in a while.