Waiting for GC for 2 years; What additional steps can I take?

ghoney77

Registered Users (C)
Hello~. I am so glad I found this forum! Other people's eyes seem to glaze over when I try to explain what I am going through with the GC process :p

I am married to a US citizen and filed I-485 in Oct 2004 in NYC through an attorney. We had an interview in Jan 2005 (I think the interview was so fast because NYC was doing a 3-month trial then). Interview was a breeze (we took our attorney with us, we met in school and dated for 4 years before marriage, knew each other's families and hometown, etc.) and the interviewing officer said that we'd have been approved that day except my name check hadn't come back.

We relocate to Southern California in March 2005. File all appropriate change of address papers. Spent next 7 months trying to figure out where my file was. (I think it went from NYC to Chicago to Santa Ana, CA to California Service Center.) In Oct 2005, I got an email saying California Service Center has received my application. In June 2006, I received a RFE (basically everything again such as joint accounts, photos, etc.) that I responded to.

Now I am really sick of just waiting for it to be done and want to be more proactive about it. I understand I have the following limited options - does this sound right?:

1. Call National Service Center 1-800 number. (I found them to be not very helpful)
2. Set up INFOPASS appointment. (I found it unhelpful - she didn't tell me anything that I already didn't know. Is it better if I get a better officer?)
3. Send letter to Ombudsman. (I sent had sent a letter to him in Dec 2005. A month later, I got a letter saying someone will respond, and FOUR months later, I got a letter saying my application was in California Service Center, which I already knew.)
4. Send letter to California Service Center (I sent about three letters - all I got was a letter saying 'pls ask all questions to National Service Center)

5. Congressman - this is the one thing I have not tried, just because I am not sure how. If I send a letter to congressman office of my district (or better yet, have my husband send one since he can actually vote?), they actually respond? I would like to hear more about this option.

Please let me know if I am missing anything. Thank you so much!

ghoney77 said:
5. Congressman - this is the one thing I have not tried, just because I am not sure how. If I send a letter to congressman office of my district (or better yet, have my husband send one since he can actually vote?), they actually respond? I would like to hear more about this option.

Please let me know if I am missing anything. Thank you so much!
You can find out how to contact your congressman/woman on www.house.gov by first finding him/her, and then going to their website.
The problem is they can only inquire about your case and give you the status of it. Nothing else...
If you want to be proactive, you need to file a Writ of Mandamus.
"Memme", one of this forum members, has started the process recently. You can check out his threads.