Waiting 485 approval.. getting married in Sep\'02... Need ur help..

pattali

Hi All, This is the details of my case:
CSC FD 10/12/01; AP 12/14/01; FP Done 12/19/01;EAD 02/14/02;
AVM: Case resumed on 01/18/02. WAC020345****.

I\'m getting married in Sep. From previous discussions i understand that if i get married before my case is approved, i can get H4 for my wife and file her GC. My H1 is valid till Mar\'03.
My Qtns:
1. When do u guys expect my case to get approved?.
2. If it does not get approved before Sep and i get married, but could not file her GC before my approval, What is the procedure and how long does it take to get her to US?.
3. If it does get approved before Sep, can she come in F1 visa by getting admission in school after marriage?. She has done her B.E.. What other options are available?.
Please share ur expertise...
Thx.

You can even bet on eventual peace between India and Pakistan but not on INS processing time

It may take just a month or even a couple of years;-))) anyways if you do get approved before you get married or before you add your spouse name along with your 485, to my understanding you have the following options:

1. Apply for family-based green card which takes up to 5 yrs while she stays in India. Hope it\'s not viable option.
2. Get her on F1 while family-based 485 processing is going on....I dunno how can she be on F1 for 5 yrs unless she does her Ph.D
3. Get her on H1B and apply for EB 485 on her own

If I were you I would go for option 3 which is the fastest way to get her green card but to get her on H1 in this economy is gonna be a challenging task.

Wish you all the best and hv a wonderful married life!!!

No Title

If you are so much sure that u are going to get married in september. Then why can\'t you get your marriage registered now in India and produce that has a document to add your wife to the currently running I-485 application?. This way you dont have to worry about when your I-485 will be approved and also i think based on the marriage registration document you can get your wife H4 now itself before your H1 gets invalid by I-485 approval.
I am not a attorney, but this is a powerfull idea becuase we indians 100 % get married once the engagement is over and dataes are fixed for marriage. Think / discuss on this idea. Be creative thats all.
You can lead a tension less life with your only wife.

It\'s pretty much getting married in advance!!!

And I don\'t think just a marriage certificate is good enough to get her H4 visa.....you have to provide other proofs like:

wedding snaps
marriage invitaion..

Here\'s what my friend did

He had applied for 485 and was going to get married In October. He was in the same boat at you. He is going to India this month to do a court marriage. After that he officially gets a marriage certificate. He shall bring his wife on H4, add her in his 485 application, let her do the finger printing and send her back. Then he can go in October and get married officially.

Well I couldnt help but...

This is not connected to immigration. Does it make sense to the guy?

He is married in court, he even brings his \'wife\' here and then goes back for an official marriage???

Thats sounds plain stupid to me. It can be considered fraud! He is in effect wasting money on the tickets. Its insane lol

Go ahead with the court marriage...

I see no fraud in getting married in court. I have a friend who works here with me who did the same. Makes a lot of sense to me not having to wait 2 years after getting GC to get your spouse here.
This plan should work out great for you and your wife....if patienceGC thinks its plain stupid - well that\'s his take and its not his married life thats on the line.
Good luck!

GET MARRIED NOW - BEFORE YOUR I-485 GETS APPROVED. THATS THE ONLY ANSWER TO YOUR QUESTION. Read on..

If this is not possible, the only other option is to bring her in september on visit visa (assuming that your 485 is approved) and then officially register the marriage here in the US. Then file for her family based GC here. I know quite a few people who did this.

My Clarification

Well

I meant that it MAY be considered fraud. Please see

Campaining "H4 Visa delays for I485 applicants at Chennai Consulate" 4/29/02 10:01am

Why cant he just marry once and for all? Why does he want to go marry in the court and then comeback and then again return to marry again? If he is going to bring his \'wife\' here who is he going back to marry? Do the parents think they is going act like they werent married when they come here? Thats funny

that will

take 4 years to get her GC dude ...........
once you have GC you can\'t just marry and get your spouse the GC right away .........that\'s why guys with GC have 0 value in marriage market !!

Thanks guys..

for all ur responses. I think its difficult to do a simple marriage and then ...... So its ruled out. Bringing her on visitor visa and registering the marriage here sounds new. But JavedG, can you give more details... What happens by registering the marriage here. Will she get a new status here since I\'ll apply for her GC?. Does that mean she need not go back to India after her Visitor visa expires?. I don\'t mind when she will get her GC.
Anyone who has done similar thing pls share ur experiences..
Thx.

Clarification on the previous comments

What I meant earlier was go to India and do court marriage. It is perfectly legal. But being from Indian origin, we love to get married according to the family customs. This can then be done later. As for what the girl\'s parent\'s think is purely up to them. Do they want her daughter to stay in India for 3-5 years after marriage, so that she can come to US. I do not consider this as a fraud, since court marriage is legal marriage, only that the other marriage that you do would be for your friends & family.

patienceGC, I consider your advice as stupid. Try helping this guy who has a problem, rather than commenting on what others have to say.