WAC 02-045 Medical RFE for the child

nell02

Registered Users (C)
Just now, my attorney informed that there is a medical RFE - TB Test and Xray for the child. There's no other RFEs for spouse and me. Yet to receive the real notice.
I fixed an appointment with the doctor next week. Does anybody have similar RFEs. These are my questions:

Can we directly send completed medical report to the INS?
Which address can we mail? Will it be indicated in RFE?

Does other approvals also depend on reply to this RFE? Or only the RFEd person's case alone get delayed?

When I checked the AVM for spouse and me it still remains the same: "Processing Resumed from Feb 02.." while kid it has changed to "On Aug22 addl evidence for information is mailed..."

Anyway, gives some hope atleast they have touched our case :)

Why RFE ? Was all clear medical report was not submitted along with initial AOS filing?
If positive for TB then you have to get your kid treated for it and get all clear medical certificate and send that to the INS. If negative, ignore the treatment part and just mail the cetification.

Nell
how old is your kid.
I had a long posting on such issue some times back . IF your kid was born in india or asia or even uk then chances are skin test wil be +ve due to BCG . You should never go for skin test and always press for Xray only. Get the Xray done again may be from different doc and see .

NELL Remember

NELL,

Remember, The chest X-rays are supposed to be done only every 5 years. I was told by my doctor a couple of years ago.

So ask the doctor b4 hand.

Just letting you know, Cause its a Kid. Don't get alarmed!!!

GCINCSC

Chest Xray are valid for 1 year . I had to get my kid Xray twice 1st for i had to get it done for 485 cuase the one before i had was a year and 10 days old.

Thanks ghost-rider

for the valuable information. I'll discuss these issues with the doctor on next appointment. Going to the same doctor again.

Last edited by a moderator:
nell02,

Sorry to hear that you got RFE (instead of direct approval) for your kid.

To answer your questions:
1. The INS doctor will give you a sealed envelope and normally your attorney need to mail it to INS. Yes, RFE will have the address and case details paper that need to be sent back.
2. Most of the times all family members cases are kept and processed together. If one gets RFE then others also need to wait, but I did see several exceptions to this where individuals got approved separately. In your case it is upto the officer processing your case to approve remaining cases or wait for RFE response.

By the way regarding SkinTest and X-Ray:
As far as I observed (as several others wrote), there isn't any harm of doing skin test! If skin test is positive (it will be for most of Asians) then one need to get chest X-Ray and doctor need to say one of the following by examining chest X-Ray:
1. Active infection (need to take TB medication for 6-9 months) and doctor will say TB positive in Med reports and candidate can file for I-485 but will get RFE later unless follow-up reports are sent later.
2. No infection or Inactive Infection (No medication is required) and the doctor will specify in Med reports accordingly.
3. There is infection and doctor is not sure whether it is active or inactive. Doctor will do further tests (X-Rays) and decide (it may take app. 10 days for this entire process). Even after those tests if the doctor is not sure then please go see a DOCTOR (probably you are not seeing a doctor so far, not just for I-485 but for sake of your health it is very important for you to go see a good doctor ASAP and find out what is going on).

Apart from these I saw several Med RFE cases where INS doctor missed checking some related boxes so all that was needed was to go back to the same INS doctor and they will give new and properly certified document so that one can submit it as response to RFE.

Good luck to you and your family
PCee

checkbox

In my wife's case the X-ray was done and it was clear. The doctor forgot to check the check box on the I-693 form

indeedgc,

Do we have to send the full I-693 form again or only an amendment or addendum is to be send for this kind of RFE. Also for mailing which is better - certified mail, priority mail or normal?
Hope you would have send these already?

I checked my kid's old records and found we have done skin test earlier and result was negative. Somehow this data is not added in I-693.

Is x-ray really needed?

If skin test is negative do we need to take X-ray?
PCee, ghost-rider, indeedgc, kkasams ...... Please give your suggestions.

skin test is negative then u do't need Xray. You have a choice to go for Xray or skin test i went in for Xray only.

nell02,

1. As ghost-rider wrote "no", one doesn't need an X-Ray if skin test is negetive (as per INS specification for this test), unless INS asks for X-Ray specifically.
2. In my openion if possible make the doctor fill that I-693 completely once again and send it to INS.
3. As I wrote earlier it is better to send that reply sheet that INS sent you along with RFE, and normally people will use FedEx/UPS or some other courier services.

Goodluck
PCee

nell

your case is taken up, great!!
a friend of mine got a med RFE. The doc forgot to check the boxes for x-ray (the skin test came +ve and that was marked very well!!). so when approached (a year had passed) again, the doc apologized and completely filled another form (693 I guess), without any charge. The date of exam marked was the same as the original (i.e., a year back).

good luck...

neeru,

Thanks for the reply.
Last year when we went for the immigration medical, the doctor took x-ray for spouse and me and in his opinion if parents are normal, no need for skin test/x-ray for the child. But he'd have forgot to indicate that on the report. We have done skin test for the child during the yearly check-up about 6 months back and it was negative. But it is not acceptable now, since the result is valid only for 3 months :(
So we may have to repeat skin test or take x-ray again. Now thinking of going for x-ray straight away since it is less complicated.