Voter registration disaster

jacklalopeIt's

My wife was undocumented from CA. She has two children. She received conditional green card based on a hardship waiver (I am disabled). In the process of obtaining a green card, USCIS requested documentation for registration. This surprised us both – in 2001, when she first arrived, she worked for a grocery store whose union requested members to register to vote. The registration itself is somewhat confusing because the actual document includes information about the union – so my wife was led to believe, at the time, that what she was signing was a document allowing her to vote in union elections and referendums. Of course, this turned out to be a registration to vote.

We immediately (this September) canceled her registration. She never voted in an election (which I believe doesn't matter, in any case). We did not submit any of the documentation to USCIS, because the requests for documentation of registration to vote is not required to demonstrate a bona fide marriage.

We have a lawyer. I'm just wondering if anyone here can give me some idea about the likelihood of deportation? Needless to say, we are terrified.