Voter Registration Cancellation

vinilet3

Registered Users (C)
1-somebody registered me by mistake to the voter registration and i have the doubt if for the interview..is it really necessary to get evidence that the voter registration was never used or a cancellation letter is enough? the voter registration office dont want to send me a letter saying it was never used

2-also has anyone ever received any fine for canceling a voter registration?

3-will i get in trouble if i said i wasnt registered on the application and later i found out i was registered

help me please

1-somebody registered me by mistake to the voter registration and i have the doubt if for the interview..is it really necessary to get evidence that the voter registration was never used or a cancellation letter is enough? the voter registration office dont want to send me a letter saying it was never used

2-also has anyone ever received any fine for canceling a voter registration?

3-will i get in trouble if i said i wasnt registered on the application and later i found out i was registered

help me please

1. The short answer is yes, it is very important for you to get a letter from your local voter registration office saying that you have never voted AND that your voter registration has been cancelled. You should go in person to the voter registration office and raise hell there until they give you such a letter - there is absolutely no reason for them to refuse to do so.
The immigration law treats having registered to vote and having actually voted differently. In particular, for a non-citizen to actually have voted in a U.S. federal election is always a deportable offense, even if the alien was registered to vote by mistake (e.g. by the DMV without the alien's knowledge).
See http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/8/usc_sec_08_00001227----000-.html
"(6) Unlawful voters
(A) In general
Any alien who has voted in violation of any Federal, State, or local constitutional provision, statute, ordinance, or regulation is deportable."

There is a policy memorandum from 2002 regarding how these issues are to be treated when N-400 applications are considered and you'll see there that one of the things the IOs are told to ascertain is if the applicant has actually voted:
http://www.uscis.gov/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/VoterMem_Plus86.pdf

So you can be sure that the IO will want to see proof that you have not voted in any federal election (and in any other election where you are not allowed to vote).

2. What do you mean by a "fine"? From whom? USCIS does not issue fines for unlawful voter registration, but there are other potential negative consequences.

3. I would not try to conceal it - if you conceal this information and are later found out (USCIS does check voter registration records), it will have doubly negative effect for your N-400 application, and possibly for your GC status.

So you should disclose this info on the N-400 and explain that you were registered involuntarily, without your knowledge or consent (assuming that this is what happened).
You should also ask your voter registration office to give you a copy of the voter registration application that was initially used to register you to vote. Presumably it will show that you yourself did not sign the application, which will be an important point for the IO considering your N-400.

baikal3 thanks for your response.

when I say "a fine", I mean by the state, Ive read on some websites that when you are registered in a

voter registration without being a citizen you may get fined up to $5,000 and/or imprisioned for up

to five years. that's why i asked if anybody ever has received any fine by the federal, state or

local authorities. in my case a family member registered me without my consent. but at the end is my name showing there not theirs.

I also have the doubt if I can submit additional documents after I submited the application already.

in this case to explain what I found out after i sent the application, is it possible? or should i wait until the interview and disclose this information to the IO.