Visotors visa

whitetrash

I have been hearing that inspite of getting a 10 year visa, the immigration officials on entry to US stamp 20days etc on the I-94. Would like to know if anyone has gone thru such an experience or it is just a rumour. Thanks.

visa experation

I heard that there is a new law for people with visitors visas, that if they do not start paperwork or get married before their visa runs out, than they can not intent to stay in the u.s or they will be deported when they try to. I heard that this was passed today, i need to know if this is true.

Client needs help

I am a real estate broker whose client is here on a work visa. He wants to purchase a property in Massachusetts; however, he was told that if he should loose his job, that he would have only ten days to find a new position. If that could not be accomplished then he would have to leave the country and go back to India. He wants to buy but understandably he is very concerned. Any help would be much appreciated.

Joe

No Title

It is true but there is no law that stops him from buying property. Also, even if he finds job after 10 days or 3 months, to be in legal status he has to leave the country and return. Depends on how badly he wants to settle in this country. He should have known these rules before looking for real estate.
I wouldn\'t buy unless I am confident about my earnings/reselling of the house etc.

US likely to impose 30-day stay limit

By Our Staff Correspondent

WASHINGTON, March 20: The Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) is considering imposing a 30-day stay limit for foreign visitors to the United States. The present practice is to routinely grant six-month visas for visitors.

According to The Washington Post, State Department records show that almost seven million people come to the US each year on various categories of visas.

In testimony before the House of Representatives immigration subcommittee on Tuesday, INS Commissioner James Ziglar, referring to proposals for the new one-month stay condition, also said students would be prevented from starting courses until their student visas were approved.

His agency was discussing prohibiting anyone entering the US on a tourist, business or any other kind of visa from attending an educational institution here until INS approved a change to student visas.

THIS IS UNREASONABLE

I strongly feel that we as a community should protest to this. Our parents come to visit us often and if their visit is curtailed to 1 month it would make a huge impact in our lives. If the INS decided to let us stay in the US for benefiting the country then we should also get the right to let our loved ones come and visit us. I completely agree with them that people who come in with visitors visa should NOT be allowed to enter school without permission. That really does give a bad name to all international students coming in the US with a F1 visa. Law abiding people like us who did everything by the book from getting a F1 visa and going through the whole process of getting a green card should not suffer because of people trying to by pass the law and doing illegal things like overstaying or jumping visa categories.
I would really like to get this message to the INS and express our concern. Please join me so that we can muster up enough number of people to start a campaign.
What I propose is the following:
1. Immediate family of F1, H1, J1 or permanent residents (people who have the right to stay in this country legally) should be still allowed to have a 10 year multiple entry visa.
2. Their stay should not be limited to 1 month and they should be allowed to stay for 6 months as before.

New visitors visa bill - Unfair law

It is unfair that the U.S is considering a 30-day limit on visitors. The only people who will be affected by this is law-abiding residents of U.S and their loved ones..The crooks will anyway find a way to bypass these. We should all start a campaign to stop this bill and put forward our case. This bill comes as a great shock for all of us.

A Daughter

Not yet implemented

I don\'t think it will be implemented any time soon. It is just very alarming that INS would do something like that. All of us who love their parents and other familty members will be eventually affected. I guess one reason is that here in the US people are not very close to either their parents or their relatives.

Things are changing........

I guess things are changing now. Not sure whether the law will be implemented or not..... But most of the parents coming from India are getting a 1month or 3 months visa!!!(from past 1 month) If you get a 6mnth or 10 yr visa then u r lucky. The consulate is rejecting most of them. So things ARE changing after 9/11.

B2 stay change, in law or just regulation within INS?

Dear attorney:

We all heard about the proposed change of the B2 visa stay period from 6 mo to 30 days, which is not implemented yet.

But, is this proposal going to be just a regulation change within INS, not really change in law, which can be effective immediately after INS decision announcement OR

it would require changes in the law, in which case, the proposal needs to be incorporated into a bill, and needs to be passed in both congress and senate, then signed by president before it can become effective. In this case, I think it may take more than three months to be effective.

I suspect the fisrt case is likely correct, as the stay time is decided by the officer at the port of entry, and the stay period theretically, varies based upon the officer and the individual case. But I am not sure. Please shed some lights on this, as a lot of people are interested in this topic right now. THANKS.

I agree to JoeF

I think what JoeF has written makes sense. I too think it is a Political Stuff and will never pass as a bill.

Smiles

30 Day length of stay being enforced now!

The moronic 30 days length of stay for people with visitor\'s visa has evidently been put into effect from the end of March 2002. This following excerpt is from a SUNY Binghamton newsletter:

================================
5. New U.S. Government Rules on Length of Stay for Those With Visitors
Visas

Many relatives and friends of international students come to the United States by obtaining visitor\'s visas (B-2 visas) at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad. While some visitors will stay for only several weeks, others often plan for a longer visit. Until recently, most individuals entering the United States on Visitor\'s Visas received permission to stay in the United States for up to six months on their I-94 cards.

This has recently changed! Effective in late March 2002, most visitors
entering the United States on B-2 visas are being given only thirty day (one month) stays on their I-94 cards, unless they can show the
immigration inspector at the U.S. Port of Entry evidence that proves a
need to stay longer. The change has been implemented as a result of the attacks of September 11, 2001. Individuals given a thirty day stay who need to remain in the United States for a longer period of time will be required to file an extension of stay application with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and pay a $140.00 filing fee, before their initial stay expires.
===========================================================

Even for me and my wife who think it might be slightly easier to provide "proof" of our child\'s birth this fall, we are at a loss to find a legitimate evidence of our pregnancy! Should we send INS a pregnancy test?!

Any tips from anyone who has gone through this?

Thanks,
Anjan

This newsletter says it\'s already in effect

This following excerpt is from a SUNY Binghamton newsletter:
    ================================
    5. New U.S. Government Rules on Length of Stay for Those With Visitors
    Visas

Many relatives and friends of international students come to the United States by obtaining visitor\'s visas (B-2 visas) at U.S. embassies and consulates abroad. While some visitors will stay for only several weeks, others often plan for a longer visit. Until recently, most individuals entering the United States on Visitor\'s Visas received permission to stay in the United States for up to six months on their I-94 cards.

This has recently changed! Effective in late March 2002, most visitors entering the United States on B-2 visas are being given only thirty day (one month) stays on their I-94 cards, unless they can show the immigration inspector at the U.S. Port of Entry evidence that proves a need to stay longer. The change has been implemented as a result of the attacks of September 11, 2001. Individuals given a thirty day stay who need to remain in the United States for a longer period of time will be required to file an extension of stay application with the U.S. Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) and pay a $140.00 filing fee, before their initial stay expires.
    ===========================================================

where to send comments?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A16745-2002Apr8.html

Here is another article which says there is a 30 day comment period. Does anyone know where to send comment? Since it is not a bill or a law, It wouldn\'t be helpful to send comments to senators or congressmen.
Also it is helpful if US citizens send some comments. this will have more weightage over H1-B and PR\'s according to me.

Any body who has any idea where to send the comment please let us know so we can flood INS with our comments.

Ramkyk

Called senators office

I just called senator Diane Feinsteins office in Washington DC.
Here is the ph# (202) 224-3841. Call her and leave a message.
This would help senators and congress men to understand the
issues this blanket regulations will cause to legitimate visitors.

-sk

parents allowed on 29april 2002

i know of a friend whose parents have arrived on the 29th april - they were asked why 6 months ... if you give them enough reason they will stamp for 6 months...do you guys personally know of anyone who has been rejected(rumours apart please..)

a query regarding visitors visa

hi!
can you help in letting me know, what were the enough reasons your friends\' parents gave for their stay here. I have my brother and myself here in US on the East coast and west coast and other immediate family, also i am expecting a baby soon. Also they will be visiting different places in US too, so it will be nice if they get 6 months visa.
i would like to know how your friends parents justified their stay here for 6 months. do you need any additional documents too.
i will really appreciate your feedback.
-mona