Visitors VISA for my Parents

sneeha_123

Registered Users (C)
Sorry to post it here - but will appreciate any response.

I would like to bring my parents here in USA for 3-4 months. Is it possible?I have heard, now visitors VISA is valid only for 1 month.If its for a month - how to extend it?

I have also heard some people bring their parents for 6 months. I am hearing all these conflicting stories.

thanks in advance
-Sneeha:confused:

I have just brought my mother here a month ago

There is nothing special. You have to prepare a letter to the consular officer that states you will take care of their accommodation, their thickets and any other needs they may have. You also need to declare that they will not seek for employment during their stay in the USA.
In the letter you need to describe what is the reason for their trip and what is your status and you have to provide all the documents that prove this status.

If they do not speak English you have to prepare a letter to the immigration officer at the port of entry and ask him/her to allow them to stay in the USA for 6 months.

That’s all
Good luck

The 1 month rule did not really take off, there was too much outcry in the immigrant society for that. But it always helps if your parents can state how much time they plan to live in the US and the reasons for doing so. Usually immigration officers in the US give the parents a good 6 months.

The bigger problem you might face is obtaining the visa in India. If you follow some of the other threads on this board, they will detail that part of it in greater detail. But as Georgi says, make sure you issue the sponsorship letter with enough money to cover their stay. Also they need to prove that they have enough money/ties to come back to India once their visit is over.

Good Luck!