visitor visa extension denied, but had already overstayed, is that a problem??

geetavee

My mom came to visit me last july2004 on a visitor visa, ie b visa for the delivery of my baby. The visa was stamped fr 6 months and expired on 27 january 2005. Just a week before she was supposed to leave, my hubby was admitted in the hospital for a minor operation, and a again a day before she was supposed to leave he was again admitted fr another operation. My baby being abt 3 months old, she was worried abt me, and we applied for an extension of stay within the time frame for another six months. She stayed for a month and a half, and left in mid march 2005. After she left we got a query for the extension, asking us for papers to prove that we can support her stay and when she planned on leaving. We called them saying that she already left, so they said that all that they needed in that case was the details of her travel back, which we immediately sent. Now, we then got a denial on the visa , saying that she couldnt prove that her stay could be supported by us,and that she planned on staying indefinitely in the united states, which is not true. She only stayed for one and a half month, and then she left.Now, We spoke to our lawyer and he says that theres no point appealing the decision even if it doenst make sense. He says it shouldnt be a problem, when she goes for her visa stamping and said that she should take all papers showing that she applied for extension and explain the situation to them, and anyway visa stamping is a dicey situation... what do i do...did any of u face a similar situation, and did they have problem when applied fr vis again. we were hoping that she gets a multiple visa this time, as its her second visit.now the whole process is a question mark... will she get denied for her visa now????please help.....