Visiting without Visa

ma21

Registered Users (C)
Hi All,

What countries other than Canada and Mexico can a GC-holder visit without visa for that country.
Does visa waiver countries allow only US citizens or do they also allow US GC holders without a visa.

visa waiver

JoeF is right, in that "Visa waiver" is based on the passport and not PR status. Eg., An Indian passport holder with a Australian PR can not enter the USA under the Visa waiver scheme. Likewise an Indian passport who is a green card holder in the US will need a visa prior to travelling to Australia. Singapore too, does not allow Indian passport holders with Australian PR to enter without a valid Visa. But countries in EU such as Germany and France do allow Indian passport holders with any valid US visa to arrive in the country for transit purposes without a valid Visa for their countries.

But doesn't country like Canada and Mexico allow US Permanent residents to enter their country without a visa, regardless of the country of citizenship of the person.

mexico

I think Mexico requires a visitor's visa for even green card holders of some countries (after 9/11). Morever, countries in proximity do have special rules. Eg., Australian permanent residents can visit neighboring New Zealand without a visa. However they can not visit Singapore without a Visa, even though Australian's don't need a Visa. More importantly a green card only allows you to live and work permanently in the US. It can always be revoked for certain deportable causes including indulging in prostitution, some convictions including consuming probhibitive substances such as drugs.

So the bottom line being, being an Indian Passport holder with GC, i can visit the following countries without a visa

1. Canada
2. Mexico
3. India

Is this list complete or would you add any country to the list

For those countries who accept non-citizens with an American green card, does the flight or travel route matter? i.e.,
do we have to go there from America in order to enter
without a visa or we can go there from any starting point?

Swiss allows

If you have Plastic Card you can visit Switzerland also without visa.

The I-551 stamp is not allowed to travel without visa in Swiss

Mexico never did require a visa for U.S. PRs after 9/11; for a while they required some PRs who are citizens of certain countries to go through a background check that would take 2-4 weeks. The PR would receive a letter of the results and that was all that was needed in addition to the completed FMT form on entry.

This requirement was dropped a number of months ago. Mexican consulates have not necessarily updated their websites (some even have pre-9/11 info. still), so ALWAYS consult for the latest requirements with them when making travel plans.