• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Visiting US to validate visa and then leaving for 2 months

fontayne

I have just received my interview date at the Embassy for 22nd October, and all of the forms say that I will have to activate the visa within 6 months of this date. My problem is that I need to be in the UK for May and June (I currently live in the UK), which is outside the 6 month mark. Do you know if it is possible for me to go out to the states for a couple of weeks in April to activate my green card and then return to the UK for a couple of months?

I intend to move to the US permanently in July. Any advice on how best to do this?

That's no problem.... it is only problematic if you leave the US again for longer than 6months. Btw: it can always happen that there is a delay with the issuance of the visa e.g. when you don't have all your documents or when a more detailed background check is necessary.

You can enter and leave on the same day. you dont have to stay for a couple of weeks when going over to activate the greencard in the first six months.
Do this well before april too. You may be cutting it too close if you expect to move over in July.

The GC is not a shackle. Make sure that you apply for the SSN before you return to the UK. Make things easier when you move finally.