Visiting the SSN office to change status

teddybear

Registered Users (C)
So I left the best for last. I was dreading going to the SSN office here in nyc because the last time I was there to get a replacement card as a Resident Alien it took all morning and the lines were long.

I got there at 1 p.m. and it was empty! There is a paper form you fill out and you have to put your Mom and Dad's full names and it asked for social but you don't need to write that bit in if you are only changing your citizenship status.

The part where you check the box if you are a citizen of US felt so strange! Yet powerful. they do treat you nicer when you are a citizen (the guards).

The lady behind the bank teller style window looked at my Social Security card and US Passport and my drivers lic./state ID and the form I filled out. She looked up my record in the SSA database and changed my status to "us citizen".

I did not bring my naturalization cert. as I did not want to chance getting mugged with both passport and cert on my personage.

The SSA lady said that my status would be changed in the "system" within 3 days and that I would not be getting a new SSN card. She said I did not need a new card, and congratulations.

Apparently you can have 10 replacements in your lifetime and she didn't wanna use one up.

I asked her if DMV needed me to change my status and she said she did not think so.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!;)

So I left the best for last. I was dreading going to the SSN office here in nyc because the last time I was there to get a replacement card as a Resident Alien it took all morning and the lines were long.

I got there at 1 p.m. and it was empty! There is a paper form you fill out and you have to put your Mom and Dad's full names and it asked for social but you don't need to write that bit in if you are only changing your citizenship status.

The part where you check the box if you are a citizen of US felt so strange! Yet powerful. they do treat you nicer when you are a citizen (the guards).

The lady behind the bank teller style window looked at my Social Security card and US Passport and my drivers lic./state ID and the form I filled out. She looked up my record in the SSA database and changed my status to "us citizen".

I did not bring my naturalization cert. as I did not want to chance getting mugged with both passport and cert on my personage.

The SSA lady said that my status would be changed in the "system" within 3 days and that I would not be getting a new SSN card. She said I did not need a new card, and congratulations.

Apparently you can have 10 replacements in your lifetime and she didn't wanna use one up.

I asked her if DMV needed me to change my status and she said she did not think so.

Good luck to everyone still waiting!;)

SSA need US Passport or Certificate of Naturalization, not both.

You don't need state ID/driving license if you show US Passport or Certificate of Naturalization.

Immigration changes don't touch 10 replacements, same name change.

Only when you claim you "lost" your SSN.

I wonder what they do if someone lost their 10th ssn card?? You can't be without ssn. They should charge for it $100 for every lost.

I wonder what they do if someone lost their 10th ssn card?? You can't be without ssn. They should charge for it $100 for every lost.

I'd not heard of the 10 lifetime limit before, but you do raise a very good question of what happens when you "loose" card number 10. Don't suppose it matters much, since these days the actual card isn't really useful as proof of anything much.

I'd not heard of the 10 lifetime limit before, but you do raise a very good question of what happens when you "loose" card number 10. Don't suppose it matters much, since these days the actual card isn't really useful as proof of anything much.

Try to open some account at the bank of get a job at big business or apply for some government's benefits. ONLY original card.

NYS DMV wants original ssn cards! No exceptions! Others maybe too.

I think the only time I've shown my SS card has been when I started jobs (or, when I went to the SSA office to change my status).

For what it's worth, when I went to change my status, they wanted proof of citizenship and a government photo id (i.e. Natz cert or passport and one other document (which could be a passport if you showed your natz cert)).

Yes, I suppose a bank account might be the only time its needed. Employers typically only want to satisfy the federal requirements of an I-9, which can be accomplished by showing a passport or natz cert.

Colorado they wanted the Green Card. With the 10 times thing, not sure I've heard about that or not, but I would think after the 10th loss, you would need to go to a hearing and explain why it's been lost so much, then probably pay for a new one if you have valid excuses and aren't mailing them to Afghanistan or something...

Colorado they wanted the Green Card. With the 10 times thing, not sure I've heard about that or not, but I would think after the 10th loss, you would need to go to a hearing and explain why it's been lost so much, then probably pay for a new one if you have valid excuses and aren't mailing them to Afghanistan or something...

SSN card is not protected against frauds, so I don't think anyone would produce it to sell to Afghanistan. Even if someone wanted to do that, not 10 times, because it's red flag after a few times in SSA base.

They probably CHARGE, but they don't say it on the website. They can't refuse anyone to don't have a card. It's impossible.