Visiting India, which passport to use

galaxy3

Registered Users (C)
Hi everyone,

I am an Australian passport holder and passport has 5 years Indian visa, which I got very recently. Recently, I became citizen of US and have applied for US passport. My questions are as follows, appreciate your help:

i) When I travel to India I plan to use australian passport ( as it has stamp of Indian visa). Is that OK ?

ii) While leaving India and coming back to US, I plan to use US passport. Is that OK ? Would there be any problem at the time of leaving India.

iii) Can I get Indian visa transferred from my AUSTRALIAN passport to US passport. I am aware of the fact that one can transfer ACTIVE VISA from old passport to new, but I am not sure about transfer of VISA between one type of passport to another. Ideally, I want use one passport.

galaxy3 said:
Hi everyone,

I am an Australian passport holder and passport has 5 years Indian visa, which I got very recently. Recently, I became citizen of US and have applied for US passport. My questions are as follows, appreciate your help:

i) When I travel to India I plan to use australian passport ( as it has stamp of Indian visa). Is that OK ?

Are you still an Australian citizen? If so, the passport is still valid and so is the visa, so I don't know any reason why this should be a problem.

galaxy3 said:
ii) While leaving India and coming back to US, I plan to use US passport. Is that OK ? Would there be any problem at the time of leaving India.

It's an unusual situation. I think you would need to show the Indian exit border guards your Australian passport, since you entered on it, and you would need to show the airline your US passport, since it shows you will be admitted at your destination. To make sure, it's a good idea to ask your local Indian consulate.

galaxy3 said:
iii) Can I get Indian visa transferred from my AUSTRALIAN passport to US passport. I am aware of the fact that one can transfer ACTIVE VISA from old passport to new, but I am not sure about transfer of VISA between one type of passport to another. Ideally, I want use one passport.

I have not heard of transfering a visa from one country's passport to another's. You can ask your local Indian consulate about that. But you can certainly apply for a visa on your US passport and accomplish your goal in that way.

Hope this helps,

Tamtom

galaxy3 said:
Hi everyone,

Hmmm....what a coincidence. I just responded to a post of yours wherein you claimed to have a friend that has the exact same situation as you describe above. And here, you claim to be the person yourself. Though it hardly matters, but why lie for such simple matters? :confused:

BTW, you can click here to check that post in case you have forgotten.

Last edited by a moderator:
takadigi said:
Hmmm....what a coincidence. I just responded to a post of yours wherein you claimed to have a friend that has the exact same situation as you describe above. And here, you claim to be the person yourself. Though it hardly matters, but why lie for such simple matters? :confused:

BTW, you can click here to check that post in case you have forgotten.

desi hein bhai...thoda adjust karlo :D :D