Visit to USCIS office with questions..

hopefulH1B

Registered Users (C)
Hello, can anyone help? I made an appointment via Infopass to speak to an immigration officer to clear up a few questions I had. I am on a J1, my wife the J2 we are NOT subject to the 2 year HRR. As my J visa expires Feb 07 and my employer is applying for H1B in April (is that the earliest you can apply) I asked if I would have to leave the US in the few weeks between the expiration of the J visa and applying for H1B. The reply was that as long as the application was pending I would be legal to stay in the US - does that sound right as the officer did not seem to sure about her answers!! Also, my wifes employer (the J2) is applying for her permanent residency through PERM - again I asked what would happen if the PERM and I140 are approved and there is a wait for a visa number?? again she answered that as long as the wait for the visa number was pending then we were legal to stay in the US by adjusting our status -I am confused as the PR will be E3 - we are United Kingdom citizens and I believe we will have years to wait for a permanentvisa to be issued???? Can anyone offer any claricication - I went to the USCIS to get the correct answer and left feeling even more doubtful!!